Director, Economic Development
Director, Economic Development
Permanent Full Time
Organization: City of St. Albert
Department: Economic Development
Location: 29 Sir Winston Churchill Avenue
Compensation: $144,006 - $175,205 per annum
Closing Date: September 29, 2019
Competition #: 19/166
The City of St. Albert, home to more than 66,000 residents, is a beautiful growing community adjacent to northwest Edmonton. Known as the Botanical Arts City, St. Albert offers more than 80 kilometers of trails, 400 hectares of green space, state of the art recreation facilities, the renowned Arden Theatre, and hosts numerous special events and festivals. In recent years, St. Albert has ranked at the top of a number of national surveys recognizing us as a great place to raise a family, with an excellent quality of life and a strong sense of community. Our employees are passionate about delivering high-quality programs and services to our residents and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
We are looking for a Director to provide strategic planning, leadership and management of the Economic Development department. The Director will lead the department’s efforts to retain and grow businesses and attract new investment to St. Albert’s economy in partnership with the community and key stakeholders. The Director will also ensure that strategies are developed and implemented to promote St. Albert as an exceptional place to live, visit and do business. In this position you will provide strategic support to enhance the overall economic prosperity of the City of St. Albert and market St. Albert as a place to invest in residential, commercial and industrial opportunities.
Please visit the City of St. Albert employment site to view the details of our full opportunity profile: https://stalbert.ca/cosa/careers/
HOURS OF WORK
Eighty (80) hours bi-weekly, Monday – Friday (8:00 – 5:00). There is a requirement of additional and evening hours to meet position expectations. As a member of the City’s Leadership Team you will receive one Earned Day Off (EDO) per month.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, economic development, planning, municipal engineering or a related field combined with 10 years of progressive experience in business development or municipal economic development, with at least 5 years at a management level. Related experience combined with a diploma may be considered as an equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge of economic development best practices, ability to network in a variety of circles, and cultivation of partnerships and support groups.
- A thorough understanding of business practices and management techniques, as well as a thorough understanding of municipal procedures and legislation is required.
- Broad knowledge of issues and trends (local, provincial and global).
- An understanding of strategic planning, budgeting, report writing, working with consultants, as well as identifying sources of information.
- Understanding of City servicing infrastructure and the interconnectivity of the following statutory documents including: the Municipal Government Act, Engineering Standards, Land Use Bylaw, and Municipal Development Plan.
- Economic Development certification is an asset.
- Membership with the Economic Developers of Canada would be an asset.
- A valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s Licence and vehicle.
$144,006 - $175,205 per annum. In addition, the City of St. Albert offers a generous and comprehensive benefit package including a defined benefit pension plan.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume along with a cover letter explaining how your background and accomplishments will meet the needs of the City of St. Albert via our employment website www.stalbert.ca/employment
September 29, 2019
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.