Find out why our AMAZING employees love working for the City of Port Coquitlam! Affectionately known as “PoCo”, we are an award winning organization made up of a diverse and dedicated team of people who care deeply about the community they serve.
Port Coquitlam Recreation is currently seeking enthusiastic, highly motivated, creative, fun and energetic individuals to join our team as Casual Aquatic Leaders. As an Aquatic Leader, you will have the opportunity to provide a safe and enjoyable leisure experience and will be responsible for providing lifeguarding and instruction for a variety of aquatic programs at our facilities. Casual status requires flexibility in scheduling and the desire to work a variety of shifts, often on short notice. Hours of work varies from 5:30am to 10:30pm, 7 days a week.
To be considered, you are required to have the follow current certifications:
- NL – Pool Option
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C
- Water Safety Instructor
Our recruitment process has five steps. Here are the timelines you must be available:
- Application: Due October 4, 2019. Reference “Application Guideline” below. Please remember to include copies of the above noted certifications.
- Physical Standards and CPR Demonstration: Must be able to attend a one hour session October 10, 11 or 12, 2019. Sessions run in 1 hour timeslots throughout the day.
- Group Interview & WSI Peer Teach: Must be able to attend a three hour session October 16 or 17, 2019. Sessions run from 3:30-6:30pm.
- NL Simulations & Spinal Demonstration: Must be able to attend a three hour session October 23 or 24, 2019. Sessions run from 3:30 - 6:30pm.
- Criminal Records Search & Reference Checks: Will be completed between October 28 and November 8, 2019. Formal job offers to follow.
- Employee Training: November 13, 2019 from 4:30 - 8:00pm.
If you are not available during these times, please consider applying during the next recruitment.
Aquatic Leader 101: We are offering a course named Aquatic Leader 101 on September 20, 27 and October 4. This optional course will provide potential candidates with the most up to date techniques used in lifeguarding, first aid, aquatic instruction, plus provide best practices used in the aquatic industry. Our goal is that participants will gain a better understanding of the roles and responsibilities of an Aquatic Leader, collect some tools to help make them a strong and successful candidate as they move forward in the field of recreation. To register, please call 604-927-SWIM (7946) and reference program barcode 39317.
Application Guideline: Qualified individuals should apply online at www.portcoquitlam.ca/cityjobs to competition number 19-124c and upload a one page cover letter document demonstrating how their qualifications and/or experience match the position by October 4, 2019. Please also include copies of your certifications.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Port Coquitlam will conduct a criminal record check.