Chief Administrative Officer
Deer Lake, with a population of 5,249, is in the western part of Newfoundland and Labrador. It is located on the banks of the lake from which it derives its name, and at the outlet of the upper Humber River. Its history dates to 1922 with the first settlers being loggers and trappers who later took up farming. With the construction of a hydro electric plant came the impetus for growth and now the Town holds the distinction of being the gateway to the famous Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the island’s Great Northern Peninsula. The local airport, built in 1955 expanded to become Deer Lake Regional Airport in 2007, is one of the Town’s major employers. The airport serves a population of approximately 55,000 from Rocky Harbour to Corner Brook. With its numerous accommodations and restaurants, its accessibility via road and air, and its friendly inhabitants, the Town provides a convenient and comfortable jumping off place for tourist in western Newfoundland. It is close to the urban center of Corner Brook, just 52 kilometres away, and provides quick and easy access to a wide variety of services, attractions and events.
Town of Deer Lake
Hiring a Chief Administrative Officer
Deer Lake is hiring a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and is inviting anyone with a passion for local government and a desire to improve the lives of residents and encourage economic growth to apply.
Reporting to Council the CAO is responsible to:
- Supervise Department Heads and provide organizational leadership to them and all municipal staff.
- Administer and coordinate the delivery of services to residents and businesses to ensure the effective utilization of the human, financial and physical resources of the Town
- Act as the principle advisor to Council in the development of public policy
- Provide Council with all relevant information required to make informed decisions
- Promote, communicate, and advance the Councils vision, priorities and objectives to Department Heads and staff
- Ensure departmental strategies, plans and initiatives are aligned with Council’s vision, values and priorities
- Develop, in consultation with Department Heads, a detailed capital and operating budget, forecast and long-term financial plans for approval of the Council
- Supervise the conduct of negotiations with the unions representing Town employees and supervise collective agreements
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of Provincial Legislation and Regulations that affect the policy decisions of Council
- Act as “Head” under Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Co-ordinator of the Town’s Emergency Operations Centre.
This is a fulltime position with competitive compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications and a competitive benefits package.
The ideal candidate should posses a high degree of collaboration, innovation, and creativity arising from experience as an executive level manager; possess a university degree in a relevant discipline such as Business Administration or Commerce, Public Administration or Professional designation such as Professional Engineer or Chartered Professional Accountant or any combination of education and experience acceptable to Council. A minimum of five (5) years progressive senior managerial experience and a high level of knowledge of the Municipal Administration and Management Principles is required. Other qualities required include a proven reputation for building and leading strong teams and demonstrated exceptional relationship building skills to quickly establish credibility and trust to continually improve the experience of the taxpayer and staff.
Given the nature of this position and the need to respond to municipal issues in a timely manner when required, preference will be given to qualified candidates who reside or are willing to relocate to Deer Lake.
If you are interested in an opportunity to become part of a dedicated team to provide effective and efficient municipal services and programs, please submit a covering letter and resume. The letter and resume should clearly outline how you meet the qualifications for this position and why you want to work for us, and provide at least two (2) professional references to:
36 Yetman Drive
Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 3A8
Applicants are to submit their letter and resume electronically to email@example.com by 4:00 pm September 20, 2019.
We thank all applicants and advise only those considered for an interviewed will be contacted.