Manager, Recreation Services
Town of Ponoka
Manager, Recreation Services
Centrally located along Alberta’s Highway 2 corridor and nestled in the scenic Battle River Valley, the Town of Ponoka is a thriving and growing community that enjoys a balance between urban and rural lifestyles, all in a picturesque setting. Home to more than 7,200 people, Ponoka offers affordable living, numerous recreational opportunities, and convenient access to two international airports in Calgary (two hours south) and Edmonton (45 minutes north).
The Town, which employs about 90 full- and part-time staff, is currently seeking applications for a permanent, full-time Manager of Recreation Services. Reporting to the General Manager of Planning & Infrastructure, the Manager of Recreation Services is responsible for the overall management of the Town’s recreation services and oversees protective services including bylaw enforcement.
Duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Managing recreation programming and services for the Town, including the Ponoka Arena Complex, Aquaplex, outdoor sport facilities and parks, facility bookings, special event coordination and supervision of staff that provide recreation services;
- Promoting citizen, tourist, and visitor use of recreation facilities by working closely with community groups on facility bookings, promoting facilities to potential clients, and promoting special events;
- Producing a semi-annual community program guide that highlights recreation programs in the Town;
- Working with the Communications Manager to promote recreation services, programming, and facility news;
- Financial management of the Town’s recreation facilities, including the preparation of budgets and approving and monitoring of expenditures and revenues;
- Coordinating with the Manager of Operations on the operation of building systems and the maintenance of recreation facilities to ensure the facilities are attractive and well-maintained;
- Providing administrative support and assistance by researching and preparing reports or projects for the General Manager of Planning & Infrastructure, the Town CAO, and Town Council;
- Attending Council meetings when needed, and representing the Town on various committees and at community meetings; and
- Overseeing protective services including bylaw enforcement. Supervising contract and/or employee bylaw officers. Proactively identifying, prioritizing, and tracking bylaw enforcement concerns or requests from citizens and other departments. Providing regular reports to senior management and Council on bylaw activities.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation, physical education, or related field;
- Knowledge of and experience in recreation programming, augmented by a minimum of five (5) years of directly-related managerial experience in municipal recreation;
- Management competencies including accountability, reliability, adaptability, flexibility, collaboration, negotiation, communication, decision-making, problem-solving, leadership, networking, relationship building, planning, organizing, stress tolerance, and teamwork;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Valid Class 5 Drivers’ License.
The successful candidate will be required to submit a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (35 hours per week), plus evenings and weekends as required to support special events. Salary will be commensurate with experience and will include participation in LAPP and health & dental benefits.
Applicants are asked to email resumes no later than September 13, 2019 by 4:30 p.m. to email@example.com.
The Town of Ponoka thanks all applicants in advance, however, only those being considered will be contacted.