Building & Licence Clerk
Building & Licence Clerk
The City of Penticton's Building & Licensing Department is in search of a highly organized and energetic individual for the temporary position (6 month assignment) of Building & Licence Clerk. The Building and Licensing department helps to ensure that buildings are safe and that there are consistent standards for construction and development in Penticton. This department also uses licensing and other regulations to guide where various types of businesses may operate, and some specialized uses such as liquor licensing. The Building and Licensing department interacts regularly with residents, local businesses and other stakeholders, and provides information and education on how to meet the City's and provincial regulations, and the department enforces these requirements as needed.
Reporting to the Building & Permitting Manager, the Building & Licence Clerk will take the lead in engaging building and licencing related inquires (counter, phone, email) and in taking business permit applications (redirecting to appropriate staff members).
- Creation, tracking and maintenance of active building permits, business licenses and related files.
- Preparation of permit & licence packages, invoicing, refunds and sales order.
- Scheduling daily inspection requests for building permits and property use confirmations.
- Assisting department staff in the research and preparation of comfort, FOI, land or enforcement file correspondence.
- This position will also provide administrative support across Development Services, as required.
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by post-secondary courses related to Administration.
- Knowledge of Zoning, Sign, Building and Business Bylaws.
- Knowledge of basic policies, regulations and procedures governing licence and permit programs.
- Working knowledge of Tempest applications - Prospero, Business Licence and Calls for Service programs.
- Ability to read plans and supporting documentation to identify drawing standards & quality for permit applications.
- The ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a high level of aptitude with Microsoft applications.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in providing information and explanation to members of the public.
- Minimum typing speed of 60 wpm.
- Valid BC Driver's Licence, minimum Class 5.
Full-time Temporary (6 month assignment, 35 hours per week)
$26.46 - $29.40 per hour (Pay Grade 7, CUPE)
Additional 14% in lieu of benefits and vacation
City of Penticton, Human Resources
171 Main St. Penticton B.C. V2A 5A9