Parks, Recreation and Culture
Temporary Full Time (6 months)
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is seeking a high energy and skilled Temporary Full Time (6 months) Tree Worker who can help manage a rapidly increasing tree inventory in one of the fastest growing cities in Metro Vancouver.
The work of this class involves climbing trees, using ropes and safety harness to prune and trim street and park trees. Such work is performed from the ground, ladders, elevated platforms and free climbing within the canopy using power saws and other hand tools. The work also involves tree removal and stump grinding, tree planting and fertilization, and the application of integrated pest management treatments as directed. The work is often hazardous and is performed under direction. An incumbent exercises some independence of action in the technical functions of the work and receives assignments from a superior who checks the work during progress and upon completion for attainment of desired results and adherence to required safety practices.
Tree Worker requirements are:
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, tools and equipment used in pruning park and boulevard trees;
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, tools, equipment and safety precautions related to the work;
- Ability to exercise proper safety precautions in the performance of the work;
- Ability to work outside and perform strenuous physical labour under all weather conditions;
- Ability to provide work oversight to contractors and to assist in training coworkers;
- Ability to maintain simple records related to the work;
- Skill in the use and care of the various hand and power tools used in the work;
- Skill in the operation of a chipper;
- Completion of the tenth school grade and completion of a recognized training course in structural tree pruning, plus some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Certification as Industry Training Authority – Arborist Technician is an asset.
A criminal record and driver’s abstract search is required from short listed candidates.
Please apply on-line at www.coquitlam.ca/jobs by 5:00 pm, May 27, 2019.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.