The City of Spruce Grove
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Shared Principles, innovation is encouraged; communication and learning are continuous in this team environment while maintaining a positive work and family life balance.
The Deputy City Clerk is responsible to support open and transparent local government through the administration of sound systems and practices as well as help support the governance activities of Council, Council Committees, and quasi-judicial tribunals. The incumbent provides a leadership role in policy and legislation drafting and development at the City and supervises all city census activities. This position reports to the City Clerk.
- Legislative Process, including:
- Provide support to the City Clerk to develop and maintain a framework of processes and procedures to ensure appropriate policy and bylaw review, ensuring that departments are accountable for the timely review of municipal policies and/or bylaws governing their operations.
- Plan and implement a systematic, multi-year review of all city policies and bylaws. Ensure all city policies and bylaws are kept up-to-date.
- Provide advice and recommendations with respect to statutory compliance and consistency with city legislation and plans.
- Support policy development in the City from a corporate perspective, demonstrating a clear knowledge of how changes will impact the organization as a whole by connecting policies with city strategic plans and guiding documents.
- Undertake research, analysis, and briefing support to Council and administration dealing with issues as they relate to the City Clerk’s Office.
- Prepare and deliver presentations, position statements, and information sessions for staff, stakeholder groups, and Council to facilitate discussion of policies and initiatives.
- Provide expertise and coaching to continually improve administration drafting skills relating to the creation of council or committee reports, administrative recommendations, and to elected officials in the preparation of motions and notices of motion.
- Participate in the orderly conduct of business through the legislative process.
- Advise and inform Council, committee chairs, staff and the public on current legislative processes, policies, directives in the absence of the City Clerk.
- Assist with counseling members of City Council, in coordination with the City Solicitor, on procedural and legal issues pertaining to provincial statues, City bylaws, agreements, and policies.
- Municipal Election and Census, including:
- Support the City Clerk to ensure municipal elections are planned and implemented in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act and City legislation and allot 50% of available time in election years (every 4 years, unless by-election required).
- Oversee census project and supervises census workers, ensuring statutory requirements are met.
- Boards and Committees, including:
- Provide expertise and support for council board and committee functions.
- Provide expertise and support to the management of the City’s quasi-judicial boards and tribunals.
- Act as the Clerk to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).
- Post-secondary Degree in Business Administration, Political Science or equivalent.
- Seven (7) to eight (8) years related experience in municipal government or similar public body.
- Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC) an asset.
- National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration (NACLAA) an asset.
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) training an asset.
- SDAB Clerk training would be an asset.
Closing Date: May 27, 2019
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for a full job description and more information about the City of Spruce Grove.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.