Chief Administrative Officer
Chief Administrative OfficerApplication Deadline:
2019 – 04 – 15
2019 – 03 – 15
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
$173,601 - $206,668 (OMERS pension, benefits)
The City of Sault Ste. Marie’s mission is to promote, encourage and lead economic and social growth within its community through the effective provision of municipal services and the development of community partnerships.
The City of Sault Ste. Marie is the heart of the Great Lakes. With a population of 73,500, a broadly supported, progressive and active community plan and significant growth opportunity, Sault Ste. Marie is beginning an exciting stage. Sault Ste. Marie currently has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the province of Ontario and a number of substantial community projects focused on revitalizing our downtown, supporting our academic institutions, developing our energy infrastructure and celebrating our First Nation relationships and history. We are a safe, welcoming and forward looking community that offers a waterfront lifestyle, access to exceptional recreational activity and affordable housing.
The CAO candidate will demonstrate:
- the ability to develop positive and productive working relationships with Mayor and Council;
- the ability to work with, support and respect a governing body;
- the ability to shape the municipal corporation’s future through strong leadership and management ability;
- the ability to think critically and strategically about the corporate strategic plan, the community plan (FutureSSM) and to help staff align the municipal corporation’s efforts to achieve its goals and broader community goals;
- the ability to direct, develop, mentor and support an executive and senior management team;
- the ability to develop and instill a corporate culture of teamwork, achievement and respect;
- the ability to communicate effectively and participate as a productive member of a larger team;
- the ability to think critically, solve complex problems and make effective decisions.
Successful completion of a Bachelor degree is required with the following post graduate work considered an asset:
- Masters in Public Administration
- Masters in Business Administration
- AMCTO Professional Accreditation
Additional Competencies and Experience
The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience leading, or being part of an executive/senior leadership of, a municipal organization or an organization comparable in size, scope or responsibility.
Their experience will include extensive work with elected officials and stakeholders.
They are comfortable with and recognize the importance of technology and will be able to oversee a large scale information technology upgrade.
They have strong knowledge of finance including capital and operating budgets, fiscal planning and reporting.
They have working knowledge of or familiarity with the Municipal Act, Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act, Ombudsman Act, the DSSAB Act and other related legislation.
Please submit cover letter & resume by 4:30 pm, Monday, April 15, 2019 to:
CAO Selection Committee
c/o Human Resources
99 Foster Drive, Civic Centre
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 5N1
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
The Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.