Planning Student Intern
Planning Student Intern
Temporary Full-Time (35 hours/week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Planning & Development Services Department seeks a customer service oriented individual to join their team on as a Planning Student Intern on a full-time basis between May 2019 and August 2019. This exciting opportunity involves a varied work program, working with a team of professionals on a number of strategic and policy projects including, but not limited to, the Official Community Plan Review and the Waterfront Enhancement Strategy. As a member of the Planning & Development Services team, the Planning Summer Student Intern primarily assists with public engagement on policy projects, creating a variety of information materials and publications used in communications with the public and participating in the collection, analysis and presentation of data on a number of planning and development related matters. This position also provides technical and clerical customer service and assistance to the public and development industry regarding planning and development applications, the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaws, and departmental policies and procedures. The ideal individual for this position thrives in a busy environment and possesses excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills as well as exceptional customer service skills.
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses related to the work plus some related experience; enrolment is a University program recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners is preferred;
- Sound knowledge of modern office practices and procedures;
- Sound knowledge of functions, regulations, and rules related to the work;
- Sound knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic;
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to collect, analyze and interpret data and to provide support to superiors in the development of reports with an ability to communicate complex information in a clear manner;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Experience with GIS systems and Tempest/Prospero software is an asset;
- Ability to maintain files, records, reports and related material with detail and accuracy;
- Working knowledge of layout and graphic presentation methods and techniques applicable to the work;
- Ability to work well with others and to make a positive contribution to a team environment;
- Ability to exercise initiative and make decisions in accordance with applicable rules, regulations and policies;
- Possess and maintain a valid BC Class 5 driver’s license with a safe driving record;
The City has applied for the Canada Summer Jobs grant and if approved, applicants must meet the grant criteria. Review the Government of Canada Summer Jobs Website for detailed information about the program.
This position is classified as a Clerk Typist 2 and the hourly wage for this position is $23.44 (2019 rates) with select benefits offered. The expected duration of this appointment is approximately sixteen (16) weeks, beginning in May 2019. If your experience and education have prepared you for success and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, your current driver’s abstract, and a copy of your first aid certification.
Application Deadline: 4:30 PM, Thursday, April 4, 2019
Recruitment Reference: 2019-14
Thank you for your interest. Please note only complete applications will be considered and only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.