Finance Leader - Benefits Accounting
City of Calgary
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
Finance Leader – Benefits Accounting
As a Finance Leader, you will provide sound financial governance and business acumen related to The City’s employee benefits program and external reporting for Municipal Employees Benefits Association of Calgary (MEBAC) and the Fire Benefits Advisory Committee. Primary responsibilities include:
- Oversee business and strategic planning of financial governance standards development, implementation, and annual review with MEBAC executives.
- Provide financial advice and recommendations to the MEBAC Board and Fire Benefit Advisory Committee.
- Develop and ensure proper internal controls are in place and followed.
- Direct and coordinate compilation and submission of benefit financial budgeting, reporting and analysis for the employee benefit program.
- Review several full cycle audited statements and present to the various boards and committees.
- Prepare reports for benefit negotiations and benefit reviews.
- Partner with payroll to coordinate and approve several complex employee benefit reconciliation´s and funding sources.
- Calculate various fringe benefit rates charged out to all City departments and contributing partnerships.
- Oversee staff development and provide leadership and direction.
- Participate in regular MEBAC Executive and Finance Committee and Fire Benefits Advisory Committee meetings and provide individual board members financial advice and training.
- A professional accounting designation such as a Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified General Accountant (CGA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) and/or Masters of Business Administration (MBA).
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in finance, governance, business processes, and specialized knowledge of rates and fees and financial reporting.
- In-depth technical knowledge on all aspects of financial accounting and budgeting in large complex environment.
- Strong knowledge of rates and benefit plans.
- Well developed presentation, organization and communication skills.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Level F $88,307 - 135,252 per annum
Hours of work:
Standard 35 hour work week
Internal and External
800 Macleod Trail S.E.
Days of Work:
This position works a 5 day work week with one day off in a 3 week cycle.
Apply By: March 26, 2019
Job ID #: 301902