REPOST - Team Lead III (Deployment Manager)
REPOST - Team Lead III (Deployment Manager)
Requisition ID: 12527
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary purpose of this position is to provide leadership on continuously standardizing SDLC, coordinating deloyment across technology services, on City IT change management, incident and problem management.
The incumbent will provide team and technical leadership to developers, analysts, architects, technicians, testers and external vendor teams in support of capital or long term technology project implementations with an overall responsibility for delivering technology solutions that will transform existing processes, enhance services to customers, and/or replace legacy systems. The incumbent manages technical planning and backlog refinement through to implementation; manages the design and maintenance of technology solutions to meet business and operational requirements; provide technical expertise, guidance and supervision.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports directly to the Manager, Application Systems and directs a team of software developers, enterprise architects, computer programmer/analysts, systems analysts, database administrators, technicians and specialists. Works closely with Program and Project team members, external Vendors, Help Centre staff, business customers, and other IT partners.
- Responsible for the change management process for Technology Services, in alignment with ServiceNow/ITIL processes
- Responsible for preparing for and conducting CAB (Change Advisory Board) meetings
- Provides final authorization for changes to the production environment (across all production systems, applications and infrastructure)
- Evaluates proposals for standard (pre-approved) change request templates
- Responsible for the problem management process for Technology Services, in alignment with ServiceNow/ITIL processes
- Acts as escalation point for TS major incidents and problem tickets
- Coordinates with TS teams and all involved stakeholders (senior management, internal business units, external vendors where required) to ensure timely resolution of problems
- Conducts problem reviews, coordinates with TS teams to identify problem tasks, and follows up with task owners to ensure task completion
- Provides status updates to senior management
- Analyses Problem, Change and Incident records to identify potential risks or trends that have potential to impact the production environment
- Ability to manage reactive and proactive problems/known issues
- Manage Change and Problem management processes to maintain the stability and availability of production IT environments
- Maintains a holistic view of changes, outages, known issues across IT systems and infrastructures, understands the relationships and interconnectivity between incident, problem and change records
- Plans and implements technology solutions in support of long term, capital investment, major upgrade or multi clients projects in alignment with the City’s Annual Technology Plan.
- Leads a project team consisting of software developers, enterprise architects, computer programmer/analysts, systems analysts, database administrators, technicians, specialists and/or testers on multiple agile and waterfall teams while coordinating with other functional and technical groups such as Product Management and Operations
- Owns, oversees, and delegates the architecture, design, development, testing, release, documentation, training, and support of software applications, systems, platforms, services, or technologies.
- Drives project initiatives to deliver robust and scalable solutions, incorporating new technologies as appropriate.
- Works with business customers, product managers, and project managers to add new features to roadmaps, prioritize them, and facilitate delivery on requirements and functional specifications.
- Develops and implements technical plan, including milestones, scope, budget, and schedule, while managing stakeholders or governance body and mitigating project risks.
- Sets team performance objectives and metrics, allocating resources and managing performance and quality of results.
- Sets clear technical direction and expectations, keeping staff focused on objectives, and fostering a sense of urgency and dedication to meeting goals.
- Works closely with agile and waterfall teams to assign and review work, monitor adherence to standards and practices, provide improvement feedbacks, and ensure successful completion of projects or tasks by the group.
- Develops and implements IT operational policies, standards, systems, processes, service level agreements and best practices.
- Provides technical advice and direction to the team, and mentoring developers, analysts, architects and other staff working on the Project team.
- Works closely with other managers in Technology with respect to the planning and management of the work and resolution of critical issues that could impact the accomplishment of objectives.
- Represents the team and Technology Services in meetings with business customers, vendors, and representatives from other departments.
- Ensures a positive work environment and awareness by all staff of goals and objectives and creating an environment oriented towards trust, open communication, creative thinking and cohesive team effort.
- Acts as a positive change agent to continually improve operations and results
- Manages upgrades (internal and vendor), problem fixes, configuration changes, enhancements and new functionality in order to ensure system integrity and proper integration.
- Manages problem resolution for calls referred by the Help Desk.
- Participates in the development of specifications for technology acquisitions, budgeting estimates for capital and operating requests, business case analysis, procurement processes, and contract negotiation.
- Manages vendor performance, ensures adherence to vendor Statements of Work (SOWs) and vendor Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Prepares and conducts presentations to, and/or facilitates decision-making for the project Steering Committee, IT Senior Leadership Team, Departmental Management Teams, Division/Branch Heads, and Business Unit Managers.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Related post-secondary degree with preference for graduate degree in Computer Science or Business Administration
- Minimum 5 years’ project management experience implementing technology projects, including developing and managing resource plans, allocating resources, and managing to project budgets
- Experience managing day to day activities of exempt and bargaining unit staff
- Considerable experience working with application configuration, integration methods, and products
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly developed leadership, analytical, problem solving, planning, task prioritization, time management, and change management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deliver enterprise systems in a fast paced, dynamic technical environment, including hands-on experience in enterprise software development, frameworks, and software architecture
- Specialized and in-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of the critical municipal systems (such as ERP, GIS, Document Management, Workflow, Custom Applications/Development, IT Infrastructure, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain measurements and metrics on quality and effectiveness
- Experience in decision making with new business processes and operational improvements
- Ability to analyze and anticipate implications of system changes on work processes and to think strategically and innovatively to solve complex issues
- Experience working with a wide range of technologies (including database management systems, version control systems, continuous integration systems) and web standards
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.)
- Strong background with the software development lifecycle, and common models (agile, Kanban, iterative, waterfall, etc.) with familiarity in best software practices including source code control, requirements gathering and unit testing
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects, multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to develop, document, review and revise work and strategic plans
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience with establishing secure development policies and enforcing secure development best practices
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with executives, technical, and non-technical staff
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
- Maintains a current knowledge of developments in technical leadership techniques and tools, data base management software, computer hardware, and industry trends
- Proactively identifies areas for improvement, seek solutions and make recommendations
- Adapts to change quickly and adjusts work accordingly in a positive manner
- Knowledge of municipal mandates, policies, operations and procedures is an asset
- ServiceNow experience is an asset
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: April 2019
Application Close: April 2, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.