Computer Support Specialist
Computer Support Specialist
Job Id: 19-038
Department: Police Services
Salary: $31.53 - $37.07 per hour
Closing: March 24, 2019
Come grow with us! Maple Ridge located in Metro Vancouver is a vibrant and rapidly growing City with outstanding recreation, arts and cultural amenities and some of the most affordable housing in the region. This combined with a dynamic community makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the change.
Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication, interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you.
We are looking for a Computer Support Specialist to join our team in our Police Services Department. This position will be an integral member of the helpdesk team. Sharing responsibilities for phone and frontline support, the Computer Support Specialist will primarily deal with corporate customers in resolving their day to day computing needs.
A little bit about you:
The successful candidate in this position will be expected to provide support and coaching to members of the RCMP and City Staff to broaden skill development and create how to documents to increase the range of task helpdesk can perform.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Investigate and resolve software and hardware problems on workstations, laptops and thin client computers and network systems;
- Install or oversee installation and configuration of software and hardware;
- Provide orientation and training to users;
- Develop and implement user aides; establishes and maintains liaison with internal and external contacts regarding technical matters;
- Performs systems maintenance on computers as required.
Have knowledge in:
- Practices and procedures used in the installation, configuration and operation of computer equipment and software applications;
- Communications and local area networks.
- Knowledge of problem definition and solution techniques applicable to work performed.
- Ability to examine users' current applications, practices, and needs, and to identify problems and recommend or implement solutions or improvements.
- Ability to investigate, document, assess and resolve software and hardware problems and to liaise with vendor representatives and superiors on the more complex problems.
- Ability to evaluate computer software and hardware and make recommendations regarding the acquisition and use of products.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal contacts and to provide advice, information, assistance and specific applications training to same.
- Have previous helpdesk experience
- Can demonstrate experience and competency in delivering excellent customer service
- Have experience in coaching and training 1st level helpdesk support
- Have experience in creating “how to” documents for customers and 1st level helpdesk personnel
- Demonstrate experience working on a wide variety of desktop productivity applications and automation tools
- Completion of a two year diploma in computer science or related discipline at a technical institute or community college, plus sound related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with a safe driving record
- Obtain & Maintain RCMP Security Clearance.
- Have previous helpdesk experience;
- Can demonstrate experience and competency in delivering excellent customer service;
- Have experience in coaching and training 1st level helpdesk support;
- Have experience in creating “how to” documents for customers and 1st level helpdesk personnel;
- Demonstrate experience working on a wide variety of desktop productivity applications and automation tools.
- Demonstrate experience working with Server Management tools (including but not limited to Novell iManager, Novell ConsoleOne, Microsoft Active Directory Management Tools, LiveScan, Keyscan, WatchGuard, Genetec Omnicast, Magor Video Conferencing Systems.)
- Demonstrate experience working with Mitel Phone Systems Management Tools
The successful candidate will be required to Obtain & Maintain RCMP Security Clearance as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.