Systems Analyst II (Solution Architect)
Systems Analyst II (Solution Architect)
Requisition ID: 12829
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Solution Architect helps support and lead the implementation of enterprise, business, information/data, application and technology architectures as defined by the Enterprise Architect. Working with the Enterprise Architect, the Solution Architect will provide support to enterprise-level business functions.
The Solution Architect will champion the enterprise view of “fit-for-purpose” in supporting the organization’s business strategy, information flow and processes while taking into account possible opportunities brought by trends in new technology with support from the Enterprise Architect, and in alignment with the Enterprise Architecture strategies. They will apply these Enterprise Architecture strategies, blueprints, and standards into their solutions and designs as they support business and technology projects.
The role provides leadership in planning and implementing enterprise information systems to support both distributed and centralized business operations.
The position has access to confidential information and makes recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reports to the Director, Enterprise Technology, and works closely with Technology Services teams, City PMO project teams, other City staff, external vendors, and external consultants as required.
- Understand and Interpret Requirements:
- Probe and listen for information, influence people, facilitate consensus building, synthesize and translate ideas into actionable requirements, articulate those ideas to others.
- Identify use or purpose, constraints, risks, etc.
- Participate in the discovery and documentation of the business scenarios driving the solution.
- Understand the requirements and captures understanding in architecture and solution specification.
- Create a Useful Model:
- Use requirements and develop well-formulated models of the components of the solution; augment the models as necessary; use models and multiple views to communicate ideas effectively.
- Identify leverage opportunities, use building blocks, and liaises between the functional groups to realize opportunities
- Validate, Refine and Expand the Enterprise Architecture Model
- Verify assumptions; utilize subject matter experts to improve and further define the model defined by the Enterprise Architect
- Assess the value of solution-enhancing developments and incorporate as appropriate.
- Use the requirements to develop well-formulated models of the components of the solution; augments models as necessary
- Communicates ideas effectively through models
- Manage the Architecture:
- Represent architecture and issues during development and decision points
- Act as an "agent of change", communicating the need for the implementation of the architecture.
- Continuously foster the sharing of business unit, architecture, and technical information across the organization.
- Provide project management services for programs and projects and management of the resource/team assigned.
- Develop technical implementation plan, including scope, budget, and schedule, for projects and initiatives
- Contribute to strategic planning of IT enterprise architecture, deployments and road map
- Participate in the development of IT specifications, budgeting estimates for capital and operating requests, procurement processes, and contract negotiation.
- Make recommendations for changes in methods, processes and procedures that may impact on financial and operational areas as well as staffing workloads, working conditions, changes in positions or staffing levels.
- Has access to highly sensitive strategic and business information (e.g. business strategy, vendor pricing, etc.)
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a related discipline.
- 5 years of professional IT experience
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in a role focused on delivering solution architecture as a strategic practice
- Minimum of 1 years of experience in project management including all aspects of PM role, PMP certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of current IT trends and technologies.
- Proficient in the techniques required to produce designs of complex systems; including requirements discovery and analysis, formulation of solution content, identification of solution alternatives and their assessment, technology selection, and design configuration.
- Working knowledge of more than one design method, such as the TOGAF Architecture Development Method (ADM)
- Ability to direct groups with diverse opinions together to reach a consensus and the ability to lead the effort of architecting a technical solution to address complex business problems.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and team members to provide advice, information and assistance
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, etc.).
- Capable of handling business critical and sensitive information in a position of trust.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: April 2019
Application Close: March 29, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.