Engineering Assistant IV - Project Coordinator
Engineering Assistant IV - Project Coordinator
Requisition ID: 12778
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As a Project Coordinator, you will play a key role in the success of Engineering Services projects by implementing and maintaining project and construction management best practices and coordinating work across integrated project teams. The Project Coordinator will provide the Arbutus Greenway Project excellence in the delivery of service to the Branch, the City and its public.
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager of the Arbutus Greenway, the Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, directing and controlling project activities, maintaining all project documentation and reports, including project financials, and coordinating work across internal functional business units, external agencies and contractors.
The ideal candidate for this opportunity is innovative and driven with demonstrated experience in project management, supporting large projects and complex construction activities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting the Senior Project Manager in collecting, coordinating and controlling the project lifecycle scope, cost and schedule on select projects in the planning and implementation of capital construction projects related to infrastructure on City streets
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of project documentation, such as: Project Charter, Project Execution Plan, Project Schedule, Risk Register, Stakeholder Plan, Cost and Progress Reports etc
- Recommending and gathering project metrics (KPIs); compiling data and performing graphical representation work related to the preparation of reports and presentations
- Acting as the liaison between design and operations staff, key stakeholders and the general public, assisting the senior Project Manager to coordinate work efficiently
- Liaising and coordinating work with external agencies such as BC Hydro, Telus, Fortis, Coast Mountain Bus Company and others.
- Analyzing, verifying, and processing large volumes of information/data to be used by internal and external stakeholders to facilitate short and long term project management success
- Interpreting engineering drawings and work packages in order to:
- Verify technical information and document field observations;
- Retrieve and interpret field observations and studies
- Assisting in the inspection and the reporting of construction work and materials
- Collaborating with Supply Chain Management on project procurement needs and processes
- Conducting standard and specification gap analysis on projects and then recommending approach and procedures
- Preparing and/or assisting in the delivery of stage gate approval presentations to executive and senior management
- Assisting and participating with the public consultation processes; assisting in compiling and summarizing public input
- Performing a variety of technical and administrative duties for the Senior Project Manager
- Training and providing project management technical oversight to peers and junior staff
- Assisting with development of contractual documentation, procurement and contract administration
- Providing assistance on City of Vancouver requirements for the project management framework and OQM
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 supplemented with post-secondary technical training in Civil Engineering, Project Management, Construction Management, Transportation/Utility (water, liquid waste or streets) or other relevant area of study plus considerable related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management principles and processes and understanding of Organizational Quality Management (OQM) procedures is required
- Familiarity with the City’s street system, construction methodologies, environmental management and transportation policies and regulations is required
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in procurement procedures and contract administration
- Familiarity with the City’s Greenest City Action Plan and Corporate Plan is an asset
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office (particularly MS Excel,) SAP, AutoCAD, MS Project and working knowledge of GIS and Hansen
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated research, investigation and analytical skills; proven ability to understand, identify, track and report project key performance indicators
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and problem solve with accuracy in a technical environment is required.
- Experience working with external contractors/consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast paced environment with multiple and competing deadlines
- Ability to work well in a team environment, with little or no supervision and under tight time lines
- Proven ability to summarize data in an accurate written format and assist in the preparation of a variety of project reports; excellent organization and records management skills
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather; site safety compliance requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April 2019
Position End Date: March 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.97 to $44.83 per hour
Application Close: March 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.