Irrigation Systems Worker
Irrigation Systems Worker
Requisition ID: 13097
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is skilled work entailing responsibility for the maintenance and operation of parks and golf course irrigation systems and controls. The incumbent checks systems operation, performs a variety of maintenance and repair tasks, overhauls and rebuilds controls, valves and sprinklers and supervises the work of helpers assisting in the work. In addition, the Irrigation Systems Worker makes recommendations on system design and modification and supervises installation projects as required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Irrigation Systems Worker maintains a preventative maintenance program for parks and golf course irrigation systems; checks irrigation systems and controls and makes necessary adjustments to ensure proper operation; determines cause of system failure and takes appropriate action such as locating and repairing leaks and repairing or replacing sprinkler heads, valves and control unit parts; replaces filters and winterizes all systems. This role is responsible to clean and overhaul control units, test motor and gear assembly operation and timer accuracy,rebuild sprinkler heads and valves; maintain inventory of spare and repaired parts and orders parts as required. the Irrigation Systems Worker plans, assigns,checks and supervises the work of helpers assisting in maintenance and repair operation and as required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of the 10th school grade supplemented by technical courses related to the work and considerable related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Class 5 Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia required
- AWWA Cross Connection Certificate required
- Low E Certificate preferred
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Considerable knowledge of irrigation systems and controls and of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in installing, maintaining and repairing same.
- Sound knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions applicable to the work.
- Ability to install, maintain and repair irrigation systems and controls under minimal supervision.
- Ability to plan, assign, check and supervise the work of one or more subordinates assisting in the work.
- Ability to read and work from blueprints and plans, and prepare and maintain records related to the work.
- Skill in the use and care of tools, materials and equipment used in the work.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April 15, 2019
Position End Date: September 6, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-360: $34.68 per hour
Application Close: March 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.