About the City of Spruce Grove
Spruce Grove, Alberta is an ideal place to live, work, and raise a family. Encompassing a population of over 35,000 and continuing as one of the fastest growing mid-sized cities in western Canada, the City boasts a mix of industry, commerce, and community that is the envy of other municipalities. Located 11 kilometres west of the provincial capital, Spruce Grove has a wide variety of residential options, with carefully developed neighbourhoods that are connected by walking trails and close to parks, schools, shopping, transit, and a medical centre. Along with this, a range of sporting opportunities and a thriving arts and culture community combine to serve this diverse and growing population. Facilities such as the tri-municipally built TransAlta Leisure Centre, Fuhr Sports Park, Horizon Stage, and Border Paving Athletic Centre contribute to the strong sense of community, and diverse recreational and cultural programs, parks and open spaces, and numerous community events help strengthen social networks and civic engagement in Spruce Grove. Over the years, the growing City has developed a steadfast sense of community pride and identity.
The local business scene features everything from national retailers to local companies who serve a trading area of more than 70,000 people. Industry has also found a home here, and a skilled workforce nearby indicate abundant opportunities for growth. The City is working to create a sustainable city where families thrive alongside business and industry, which all contributes to making Spruce Grove the Community of Choice. It’s a dynamic city with an exceptional quality of life and is a vibrant place for community involvement and social wellness.
For more information please visit www.sprucegrove.org
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors, and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the ‘Values We Live By,’ accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work-life balance.
The City Manager is responsible for the overall administration of municipal operations in accordance with the objectives, policies, and plans approved by the City Council. They are responsible for directing, controlling, and coordinating the activities of all City departments. Working with a management team comprised of senior staff, the City Manager ensures that the policies and programs of the City are implemented and advises and informs City Council of the operations and affairs of the City. The City Manager performs all the duties and exercises the powers and functions assigned by all applicable enactments or as assigned by City Council. (The duties and responsibilities of the City Manager are as defined by the Province of Alberta’s Municipal Government Act, section 207 — “Chief officer’s responsibilities” and section 208 — “Performance of major administrative duties” and are defined in the City Manager Bylaw.)
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Post-secondary education in Public Administration, Management, or a related field, and an additional professional designation would be preferred. Demonstrated commitment to professional development is an asset.
- Successful experience in a City Manager or senior management capacity in a municipal organization is strongly preferred. Other public/private sector organizational experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience within a mid-to large complex municipal setting and experience working with elected officials and boards is a requirement. Has a comprehensive understanding of governance.
- A builder of a strong and progressive cultural environment.
- Demonstrated experience in policy development, financial acumen, and resource management is required.
- A positive record of working effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees, and public consultation processes.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results while building teams, and positive labour relations.
- A strong understanding of economic development is required.
- Experience in implementing and executing development plans, capital works, and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the changes to the Municipal Government Act and their impact on the City.
- Understands regionalization and collaborative regional growth strategies.
The City Manager is required to live in the City of Spruce Grove.
For a detailed opportunity profile, please visit: https://leadersinternational.com/city-of-spruce-grove-city-manager/
Interested parties are requested to submit a one-page cover letter and their personal resume/CV to Anurag Shourie or Samantha Chiu at Edmonton@leadersinternational.com. For further information, please call Leaders International at (780) 420-9900.