Deputy Corporate Officer
Deputy Corporate Officer(Full Time)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from qualified persons for the exempt full-time permanent position of Deputy Corporate Officer.
Reporting to the Corporate Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing administrative and organizational support to Council, its committees, and legislative services more generally. This position oversees the preparation of Committee agendas and minutes, attends Committee meetings, drafts bylaws, policies, and other legal documents, drafts reports, assists with elections and referendums, and performs other duties of the Corporate Officer. The incumbent will be required to work outside the normal working hours from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications & Abilities
- Undergraduate degree in Public Administration or a related degree
- Minimum of five years prior job related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of parliamentary procedures, the Community Charter, the Local Government Act, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and LGMA Records Management practices is required.
- Solid working knowledge of Escribe, Laserfiche, and Microsoft Office suite is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, exemplary problem solving abilities, along with organizational, public relations, and time management skills.
- Sound understanding of public sector management, municipal organization, Roberts Rules of Order and extensive experience working with people.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; independent use of discretionary judgement, exceptional communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work well under pressure.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police information check.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package is offered. This position is excluded from union membership.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. March 25, 2019