(Permanent; 75 hours bi-weekly)
Are you a seasoned expert in municipal governance process, who excels in a multi-stakeholder environment where you can use your advanced collaboration skills to build relationships, provide advice, and lead a team of professionals? If this describes your career path, then our organization has an exciting opportunity for you. We are currently seeking a City Clerk with strategic leadership experience to oversee the department’s activities into the long-term future. We are looking for a collaborative team leader who is committed to providing a high level of reliable, consistent, and responsive service. Our diverse organization (www.lethbridge.ca) is comprised of 1500 employees across a wide variety of business areas. Located just two hours south of Calgary and close to the Rocky Mountains and U.S. border, Lethbridge is a family-oriented and culturally vibrant community with diverse recreational opportunities, fine restaurants & shopping, and home to two innovative post-secondary institutions – the University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College.
Reporting to the City Manager, you will provide legislative, procedural and protocol advice and assistance to City Council, various Committees, quasi-judicial Boards, and Administration. You will attend and coordinate City Council and Committee meetings, producing agendas, minutes, and supporting materials. You will maintain a corporate record of those proceedings, as well as Council & Administration policies, consolidated City bylaws, and executed contracts. You will also be responsible for establishing and maintaining processes to ensure the public has timely and impartial access to City Council. As the City Clerk, you will serve as Head of the Local Public Body for the purpose of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and provide oversight to the administration of that legislation. You will provide strategic leadership and planning for the civic election process and the annual civic census. Your portfolio will also include leadership and oversight for information and records management for the organization. As a business unit manager, you will also be accountable for department business planning and budget development & management.
As a strategic leader, you will guide and develop your team of 9 permanent staff and 3 term staff to excel in their roles, and be responsible for human resources activities within the department, including hiring, setting performance expectations, and providing support and coaching. This will also include providing direction to large numbers of temporary staff involved in census and election processes. You are respected for your expertise and commitment to governance principles and are a champion of public service. This will be complemented by your ability to foster stakeholder relationships at all levels that are collaborative, responsive and supportive. You are known for your strategic focus and initiative, and have a proven track record in consistently delivering timely administrative service and support.
Your professional background should include:
- A post-secondary degree in Public Administration, Administrative Law, or a related field; or an acceptable combination of education and experience (at a minimum, secondary plus 5 years of direct related experience)
- A Certified Municipal Clerk designation, Commissioner of Oaths status, and Local Government certification o A certified Local Government Manager designation will be considered an asset
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in municipal government administration, complemented by progressively responsible management experience
- Expert knowledge, interpretation and application of the Municipal Government Act, FOIP legislation and other relevant regulations & bylaws affecting municipal operations and services
- Strong political acumen and diplomacy skills, with the ability to work in a non-partisan manner
- Advanced working knowledge of legal and parliamentary procedures and administrative law
- Experience in records/information management Excellent written, verbal and listening skills
- Appreciation for balancing regulation with flexibility to assess circumstances and creatively problem solve
- Proven ability to foster a collaborative and positive team environment
- Successful strategic planning skills
- Significant organizational and coordination skills
- The ability to successfully manage and adapt to multiple priorities on a daily basis
- Proficiency using a variety of software applications; experience with OnBase meeting management software would be preferable
The City of Lethbridge offers a competitive salary and an attractive, flexible benefits package.
For additional information on this opportunity, please contact: Jody Meli, Director of the City Manager’s Office, at (403) 329-7365 or by email at email@example.com
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at: www.lethbridge.ca
Closing Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019, at 11:59 p.m.
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.