Director, Resource Management
BC Public Service
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Director, Resource Management
$87,600.00 – $114,100.00 annually plus a $32.89 Bi-weekly Isolation Allowance
The ministry has been developed through the amalgamation of legislative authorities in land and resource agencies to provide clients with a single point of access to natural resource authorizations and resource management services at many locations across the province. The ministry is structured in 23 districts within eight regions under the leadership of three geographically based Assistant Deputy Ministers.
Reporting to a Regional Executive Director (RED), the Director of Resource Management will deliver region-wide operations and coordinate district activities under provincial policy and legislative direction within the ministry. No two days will be alike for this role – from leading the coordination of Land Base investment and natural resource monitoring and reporting initiatives, providing leadership to a diverse team of natural resource professionals, to developing partnerships and collaborative approaches with First Nations, exercising statutory authority, etc.
Smithers is located in northwestern BC and is set against the backdrop of the Hudson Bay Mountain with views of the Babine and Telkwa Mountain Ranges. Smithers is not only an exceptional community for livability with a diversified downtown, but also offers outstanding outdoor recreation during all seasons.
The BC Public Service is an inclusive and accessible employer. Please advise the hiring manager if any accommodations are required to assist you to ensure equitable participation.
Qualifications for this role include:
- University degree in natural resource management or a related discipline (e.g. forestry, geography, biology, public administration, or other related discipline) and at least 5 years of recent, related experience*; OR
- A Diploma in natural resource management or a related discipline (see above) and at least 7 years of recent, related experience. *
*Recent, related experience must include senior management experience:
- Leading the delivery of a wide variety of natural resource-related programs (e.g. fish/wildlife/species at risk etc.)
- Leading the resolution of high-profile, contentious natural resource management-related issues.
- Engaging with stakeholders, communities, First Nations and others to collaborate on natural resource management, applying influence and addressing issues.
- Providing strategic advice and recommendations to senior decision-makers.
- Managing operational budgets, forecasts, contracts and expenditures ensuring compliance with fiscal parameters and the prudent use of financial resources.
- Supervising employees.
For more information and to apply online by March 24, 2019, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/58337
Attention: only applications submitted through the BC Public Service’s employment website (see link above) will be accepted.