Senior Advisor, Financial Modelling & Analysis
TransLink (South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority)
TL Sr Advisor, Financial Modelling & Analysis
Job ID: 20190115
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) is one of Canada’s most innovative transportation authorities, founded in 1999 to plan and manage transportation within Metro Vancouver. We’ve achieved success not only in improving the transportation network of the region, but helping maintain the enviable lifestyle of residents and the viability of local businesses. TransLink and our family of companies (Coast Mountain Bus Company, B.C. Rapid Transit Company and Transit Police) are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers.
Develops and maintains a three-statement consolidated long range financial model; performs financial and sensitivity analysis and creates presentations and reports as assigned. Develops and recommends business insights through financial analysis to improve business area decision-making and to deliver effective long range financial forecasting using current, updated procedures and industry best practices.
- Designs and recommends long range corporate financial investment models used to evaluate new and existing opportunities in support of strategic initiatives. Ensures that financial models comply with TransLink’s legislative and board policy requirements. Formulates and recommends policies and procedures for upgrading and improving models, and in supporting transition that includes bridging, from one model to the next and provide training usage of the model.
- Provides consolidated financial data and related resources for the development and reporting of 10-Year Investment Plan; identifies opportunities to enhance financial outlooks, and other financial analysis tasks and projects. Creates and monitors an audit program pertaining to relative risks, modelling errors and implements procedures to minimize future errors.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders on the Investment plan and various functional and upcoming financial models. Advises various department / project managers on financial issues and assumptions that will impact operating and capital requirements; develops detailed instructions for investment plan inputs and provides guidance and direction to relevant team members on related matters.
- Identifies adequate resources for complex projects or initiatives. Reports out on the assigned projects, deadlines and any concerns and prepares executive dashboards to assist in insightful decision making. Develops various reports both periodic and ad-hoc related to projects, programs and other corporate financial initiatives to support Enterprise objectives.
- Works closely with team members in the financial planning department and Strategic Planning and Development department on financial information and other data ensuring accuracy, completeness and compliance with corporate guidelines and determining reasons for change from previous budget and/or submission; collaborates with business units and responds to their financial data requests and related matters.
- Analyzes financial impacts of opportunities towards improving efficiencies; analyzes and tracks key business drivers and initiatives and prepares recommendations to relevant managers; reviews and analyzes financial and performance metric variances against historic trends, strategic plan, and budget to develop business cases for process improvements.
- Prepares and ensures accuracy of executive briefing material; assists in preparing draft sections for the investment plan, reviews impact of budgets/forecasts on approved investment plan and participates in special projects, including providing financial analysis services to various project teams.
Education and Experience:
The competencies for this position would be acquired through completion of a university degree in finance, commerce or related discipline along with a Professional designation (CA, CPA, CFA, CMA) plus six (6) years progressive experience in financial planning with an emphasis on financial modeling / corporate finance in a large organization.
- Advanced analytical and financial modeling skills using Excel and other modeling tools (Longview, etc.)
- Solid business acumen and experience with reviewing business cases with good understanding of project management practices (Gantt charts, work breakdown structures, project governance)
- Advanced foundation in accounting and finance with working knowledge of PSAB accounting standards and general understanding of TransLink’s governance legislation is an asset
- Strong skills with PowerPoint and ability to present complex information in a concise manner along with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills who builds great relationships with colleagues, senior leaders and non-financial staff at various levels
- Strong organization and time management skills with ability to multitask during tight project deadlines
37.5 hours per week
Salary starting at $85,068
Recruitment Process: An applicant will be required to demonstrate their suitability for this position by meeting the minimum level of qualifications and experience in order to be invited into the selection process. A standard interview format will be used including general, scenario and behavioural descriptive interview questions.
How to Apply
Please click the 'Apply' button at the top right corner of the page or go to http://www.translink.ca/careers to apply for this position and view instructions on the process.
INSTRUCTIONS: Please save your (1) cover letter, and your (2) resume as one pdf document prior to uploading your application on-line.
Posting Date: 1st March 2019
Closing Date: Until Filled
Please note that only those short listed will be contacted.