Tradesperson 2 - Mechanic
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Tradesperson 2 - Mechanic
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week*
$39.99 per hour + comprehensive benefits package
As a skilled journeyperson, you will perform mechanical overhaul, repair, servicing and maintenance work on City vehicles, heavy-duty equipment as well as other equipment as required. In addition, you will also perform a variety of gas and electrical welding tasks common to mechanical shop work.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- Completion of a recognized mechanic trade apprenticeship plus journeyperson mechanic experience.
- Inter-provincial Trades Qualification as a Licensed Automotive Mechanic, a Commercial Transport Mechanic or a Heavy Duty Equipment Technician.
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s license for the Province of British Columbia with Air Brake Endorsement is considered an asset.
- Motor Vehicle Inspection Certificate with Air is considered an asset.
- A valid Pressure Fuel Certificate is considered an asset.
- Experience in a municipal environment, heavy duty mechanics, electrical diagnosis and working with Fire apparatus and Police vehicles would be considered assets.
- Thorough knowledge of the standards, practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the automotive and heavy-duty mechanical trade.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions related to the work performed.
- You have the ability to perform a variety of complex, skilled mechanical and related tasks in the overhaul, repair, maintenance, and adjustment of a wide variety of automotive, small and heavy duty equipment and vehicles.
- You have the ability to establish and maintain superior working relationships with coworkers, suppliers and customers, and to provide excellent customer service.
- You have the ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions, interpret and work from schematics, manufacturer’s instructions, diagrams and sketches, and to maintain a variety of records.
- You have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- You have the ability to operate a variety of vehicles and equipment and skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the trade.
- Must successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*Position works 2 weeks of day shifts (7:00 am – 3:30 pm) followed by 2 weeks of evening shifts (2:30 pm – 11:00 pm). This position also participates in a Compressed Work Week Program.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-36, by March 22, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an intervi