Community Safety (Bylaw) Officer - Summer Bike Patrol
Community Safety (Bylaw) Officer – Summer Bike Patrol
Temporary, Full-Time Positions (2)
(up to 4.5 months – May 2019 to September 30, 2019)
The City of Langford Community Safety and Municipal Enforcement Department is seeking two (2) self-starting individuals for this public safety and patrol position. Under the supervision of the Manager of the department, the Community Safety (Bylaw) Officer serves as a front line field contact with the public through the patrol and monitoring of City of Langford Public Places with a focus on providing public education as well as enforcement of City Bylaws where needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Regularly patrols Park sites, Trail network and other public spaces, working in all-weather conditions and in various terrains – most often on bicycle or on foot.
- Professionally provides information related to the interpretation and application of the City of Langford Bylaws and enforces bylaws through education, notices, tickets and charges.
- Collaborates with other regulatory and safety agencies such as the RCMP and Fire Rescue to assist in emergency situations, and performs traffic and crowd control as required.
- Investigates complaints and incidents with a goal of resolving recurring offences.
- Maintains notes and data, and prepares and delivers written and verbal reports.
- Completed or enrolled in law and law enforcement based studies, such as JIBC Investigative Skills, Criminology Program Studies, Province of BC A/R/Cst Training, or RMO training.
- Previous documented and related experience in successfully enforcing bylaws and regulations.
- Superior communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills with ability to effectively deal with and resolve conflicts including those that may involve physical aggression of others.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, programs and databases.
- Physically fit and able to perform manual outdoor work in all types of weather conditions.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence and OFA Level 1 First Aid certification.
The hourly rate set for this term position is $26.14 plus 13% in lieu of benefits. Hours of work (approximately 35 hours per week) will be set to meet operational needs – mostly nights and weekends.
Please submit your resume by noon, Tuesday, March 19, 2019 by email to email@example.com (identify the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail) or to the attention of Human Resources, City of Langford, 2nd Floor, 877 Goldstream Avenue, Langford, BC V9B 2X8.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
2nd Floor · 877 Goldstream Avenue · Langford, BC Canada · V9B 2X8
T · 250-478-7882 F · 250-478-7864