Posting Number: 00441SA
Title: Payroll Supervisor
Department: Finance and Payroll
Location: New Westminster Campus
Salary Range: $48,534/year (with increments to a max of $55,535/year)
Position Type: Support Staff - Regular
Posting Type: Internal/External
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Payroll Supervisor provides technical and professional assistance in the planning, development, implementation and coordination of payroll functions. Also to provide leadership to the department by supervising staff and coordination of workflow. To provide exceptional client-centered service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.
- Applies the BCGEU collective agreement to daily decision-making within established standards;
- Supports hiring new staff and evaluates staff including providing orientation and ensuring the provision of appropriate training and professional development;
- Provides input into staff job descriptions;
- Participates in the development of staffing plans; perform administrative tasks related to staff coverage (ie. Vacations, flex days, time sheets and employee information records, for support and auxiliary staff);
- Provides ongoing guidance and training to staff in setting and achieving established standards;
- Conducts performance evaluations with support staff under his/her responsibility;
- Directs work of a routine and non-routine nature and establishes priorities where applicable.
- Payroll Operations
- Processes Excluded payroll;
- Responsible for transmission of payroll files to bank;
- Ensures compliance with the requirements of various government bodies and agreements such as Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), Canada Pension Plan, Municipal and College Pension Acts, Employment Insurance Commission, the Workers Compensation Board, and the collective agreements as negotiated with BCGEU and the DCFA;
- Ensures good quality control is maintained in relation to payroll services to ensure that all employee remuneration and benefits are calculated promptly and accurately, and that accurate records to support those payments are maintained;
- Advises the College community on payroll issues. Responsible for making repayment arrangements with employees and dealing with garnishee orders from CRA and other agencies in consultation with Manager, Payroll Services & Systems;
- Communicates current needs in Payroll to the Manager, Payroll Services & Systems. Aligns initiatives to Finance department plans;
- In consultation with the Manager, Payroll Services & Systems and Human Resources personnel, administers the collective agreement in relation to payroll staff, including participation in hiring decisions, following through on performance management processes as applicable, authorizing overtime, leaves and other similar requests.
- Prepares a variety of reports including year-end reports for payroll functions, CRA, employee T4s, Workers’ Compensation Board and pension plans;
- Ensures all returns to relevant government bodies are completed promptly and accurately, and that complete and accurate records to support those returns are maintained;
- Assists in the development of financial and statistical reports to aid in forecasting, trend analysis, performance management, and analysis of budget to actual results for payroll and benefits information;
- Monitors changes in the financial information needs of external stakeholders and communicates those changes to the Manager, Payroll Services & Systems so that necessary changes can be coordinated;
- Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, databases, and FAST to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
- Prepares and approves journal vouchers as required;
- Prepares monthly reconciliation of payroll general ledger accounts; and ensures that any discrepancies are followed up promptly;
- Prepares year-end working papers required for external financial audit;
- Prepares monthly and year-end accruals, working closely with the Manager, Payroll Services & Systems.
- Systems and Processes
- Analyzes, tests, trains, and implements any changes to system programming and communicates any required changes to the Manager, Payroll Services & Systems;
- Produces and develops FAST reports for Payroll;
- Maintains appropriate documentation of payroll and benefits processes and internal controls;
- Recommends and introduces process and procedure improvements across internal team;
- Ensures payroll policies and procedures respond to and enhance stakeholders’ experience by providing excellent customer service.
- Performs other duties as required, such as:
- May be required to take training and act in the capacity of a floor warden as part of the College’s Emergency Preparedness Plan (Fire, W.H.M.I.S, Earthquake);
- Participates in Record Retention training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures;
- Performs other duties related to the requirements and qualifications of the position.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need:
- Completion of the Canadian Payroll Association Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) Program, and completion of at least one course from the Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) Program. A minimum of two years (60 credit) in an accounting/business program from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Five years related work experience including one year of recent supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills including written and verbal fluency in the English language.
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Experience working with Collective Agreements as they relate to payroll matters
- Thorough knowledge of:
- various regulations governing payroll administration in British Columbia;
- payroll and benefits principles and practices;
- auditing and internal control best practices.
- A demonstrated ability to:
- exercise initiative within a team and promote a positive work environment;
- communicate courteously and effectively in writing, in person or on the telephone with staff, faculty, administrators and students, as well as maintain a good working relationship with others;
- function effectively in an environment where professionalism, confidentiality and sensitivity are of primary importance;
- work independently under minimum supervision to meet deadlines and to establish priorities;
- apply and work within relevant policies and procedures;
- keyboard accurately at 50 wpm;
- use MS Word, Excel, at an intermediate level.
- Good working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures with a proven ability to coordinate information.
- A working knowledge of database management systems such as Banner would be an asset.
This regular, full-time (35 hours per week) position is available as of March 1, 2019. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Occasional travel between campuses may be required.
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Open Date: 02/14/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting: http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/3895
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.
All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.