Permanent Full-time Position
Bowen Island is located in Howe Sound, six kilometres west of mainland BC and accessed by a 20-minute ferry regularly departing from Horseshoe Bay`s BC Ferries Terminal in West Vancouver. Bowen was established as the first Island municipality in December 1999 and is a member of Metro Vancouver Regional District and the Islands Trust. The Bowen Island community consists of 3,800 permanent year round residents, and approximately 1,500 part-time residents.
Bowen Island Municipality is looking for permanent full-time Planner I to join our team. The position offers an opportunity for you to work on a variety of projects and initiatives relevant to guiding the growth and direction of a community-focused municipality.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning and Development, you will:
- Process development applications and other related Planning applications;
- Develop and update planning application materials and online Web application information;
- Conduct preliminary research and analysis with regards to a future Land Use Bylaw update;
- Provide support and research for Council Strategic Initiatives;
- Develop material and support facilitation for community engagement;
- Support Planning Technician inquiries regarding planning and building pre-application inquiries and building plan reviews;
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external agencies and groups.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Community Planning (Urban, Regional, etc.) accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners; or an undergraduate degree in a subject related to planning (e.g. Geography);
- At least two years planning experience, preferably in local government, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; • Meets eligibility requirements to be a member of the Planning Institute of British Columbia.
- A working knowledge and understanding of the Local Government Act and other Provincial policies and legislation applicable to land use planning in the Province of BC;
- Understanding of common law principles and legislative conventions applicable to land use planning;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a supervised team environment;
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and diplomatic working relationships with applicants, staff, agencies and the public;
- Demonstrated sensitivity to political issues and impacts;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and manage and prioritize workload;
- Ability to maintain organized and complete files.
The salary range for this position is competitive and includes a full range of benefits. Qualified candidates are invited to submit their detailed resume and covering letter in confidence by 4:00 pm, Monday, April 1st, 2019 to the attention of:
Human Resource Coordinator
Bowen Island Municipality
981 Artisan Lane
Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G2 EMAIL: HR@bimbc.ca
We thank all applicants, but only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.