Management / Administration
Town of Sylvan Lake
Reporting to the Director of Finance, this position is responsible for maintaining and optimizing the Town of Sylvan Lake’s information systems network for the organization thereby ensuring effective delivery of services to the community.
This position as systems analyst will not only be responsible for continuous development and enhancement of existing information systems but will be responsible for researching and implementing new technology and systems creating opportunities to improve business process to support corporate strategic goals.
This position needs to be a strong team player with excellent communication skills to work with Town departments to maintain and develop a comprehensive program of information technology.
- Responsible for the maintenance, integration and enhancement of all existing information technology systems and network.
- Performs systems analysis and collaborates with Town departments to ensure existing technology is utilized effectively and identifies opportunities to enhance business process in support of the changing needs of the organization with new technology. Creates and delivers business cases for technology acquisition.
- Coordinates the acquisition, replacement and upgrade of the Town’s computer hardware and software programs with an appropriate equipment replacement program and ensuring a cost effective industry standard life cycle.
- Maintain and support the Town’s internet access and network security ensuring effective internal and external system security is in place and managed to protect the integrity of the Town’s data.
- Manage, direct, and coordinate department staff including contracted service providers of IT services to the Town of Sylvan Lake to ensure quality control, professional development and corporate objectives are accomplished.
- Responsible for managing and developing policy and procedure for the use of the Town’s information technology infrastructure including user access and security.
- Ensures the backup of Town data is completed to maintain ‘point of recovery’ database integrity and security.
- Responsible for organizing and coordinating end user training on Town information systems including the development and updating of documentation and user instructions for business applications.
- Supports social media usage for business purposes and supports the IT infrastructure necessary to maintain a functional and effective website promoting the Town.
- Responsible to maintain the Town’s communications systems including network, web and desktop including phone systems.
- Responsible for the planning, management and efficient implementation of short-term and yearly operating plans including development of yearly and 3 year operating budgets.
- Maintains an organization structure for the Information and Technology Department that maximizes the output of the quality and quantity of the work provided. Responsibilities include providing consultation and supervision to designated staff, establishing clear definitions of responsibility for each employee, reviewing workload assignments and adjusting schedules according to workload to ensure levels meet operational requirements. Monitors performance, provides ongoing feedback and completes reviews for assigned staff on a timely basis within the department to encourage continuous improvement and increase staff morale.
- Ensure risk management and safety programs are in place for contractors working in the section, and for members of the public participating in programs and services that are consistent with Town standards and policy as well as provincial and federal legislation.
- Responsible to be the liaison and/or resource to other departments to promote and further enhance I/T opportunities within the Town and community.
- Responsible to research any and all related grant opportunities and complete applications, reports and budgets and monitor spending of project and final accounting.
- Attend required meetings and related seminars.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in the IT industry and 5 years managing an IT program
- Project management and systems analysis certification
- Advanced knowledge of networking, operating systems and server architecture including thin clients, clustering and cloud technology solutions and services
- Advanced knowledge of current and existing web design/application principles and tools including hosted solutions and transaction based solutions and services
- Strong knowledge of programming concepts, software development cycles and associated tools and platforms
- Good understanding of ERP systems and demonstrated experience with data integration practices from and to multiple systems
- Proficiency with VPN networks, firewalls, encryption and all aspects of network security technologies
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
- SQL Systems Administration Certification
- A+ Certification
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Effective leadership skills of department staff and contracted service providers
- Ability to interact with internal and external users/customers at various levels of knowledge and understanding to resolve IT related issues
- Must have excellent organizational, time management skills to complete the job
- Must be able to work unusual hours including designated holidays and be on-call for emergency situations should they arise
- Must be willing to perform system and server maintenance and software updates after hours when deemed necessary to avoid user interruption during normal business hours
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be a major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package and an excellent work/life balance situation.
Closing Date: March 3, 2019
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for, by March 3, 2019 to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue, Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660 | firstname.lastname@example.org