Finance /Accounting / Economics
The City of Spruce Grove
RC 2019 0021
The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for managing billing & administrative aspects of both the utility and general trade receivables. The incumbent will respond to escalated inquiries; administer service disconnections, over-due/final account collections and reporting. He/She will also perform daily tasks including both basic and complex day to day duties, operations and projects. Role responsibilities are co-managed and therefore have a shared accountability requirement with other Specialists in the same role. This position reports to the Revenue and Taxation Supervisor.
This is a temporary, full-time position.
Responsibilities for this position include:
Utility Receivable Administration
- Provide support to Customer Account Representatives to ensure routine processing and customer response is performed in an effective and efficient manner.
- Provide resolution for complex billing issues; disseminate information and work closely with others to resolve customer problems.
- Work in partnership with Treasury staff to foster clarity and confidence with changes in process and staff transitions.
- Ensure integrity of data & quality of service through effective and efficient process development.
- Work in cooperation with other Billing Specialists to be accountable for timely monthly and final billing, adjustments, penalties, refunds and interactions with end users and stakeholders.
- Log customer education and other communication which may be useful as historical reference data into customer accounts as they occur.
- Reconcile penalties prior to posting and reconcile receivable and deposit sub-ledgers to general ledgers monthly.
- Maintain records on tenant billing, security deposits and shut offs
- Liaise with Operators and Meter Technician regarding service delivery and field investigations.
- Perform regular review of data to identify anomalies.
General Trade Receivable Administration
- Receive and review invoice requests for supporting documentation, accuracy of GL coding and GST treatment. Report atypical requests to supervisor.
- Analyze invoice management processes based on departmental needs and customize efficiencies to ensure integrity of financial impact and authority-
- Ensure appropriate costing to ambulance recoveries and perform regular audits with Fire Services representative.
- Invoice and credit/debit note data entry.
- Process debit/credit adjustments.
- Reconcile sub-ledger to general ledger monthly.
- Process bankruptcy claims & maintain filing based on claim activity.
- Investigate payment/billing discrepancies and prepare adjusting entries as necessary.
- Investigate returned correspondence and document follow through activities.
- Collaborate with internal departments to determine collection strategies.
- Prepare submissions for outsourced Collection Agency and respond to inquiries.
- Reconcile payments received and costs applied by outsourced Collection Agency.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Post-secondary one (1) year certificate or two (2) year diploma in Business Administration, Accounting or equivalent.
- Three (3) to five (5) years related experience, including customer service, leadership and basic accounting.
- General knowledge of property taxation an asset.
- Project Management training an asset
- Leadership development training an asset
Closing Date: March 9, 2019
Application Return: This position is open until a suitable candidate is found.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.