General Manager of Planning and Economic Development
General Manager of Planning and Economic Development
Position Reports To:
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Wheatland County is currently looking for a leader to join our dynamic team as the General Manager of Planning and Economic Development leadership skills.
The General Manager of Planning and Economic Development is accountable and responsible for Planning, Development, Safety Codes Services, Economic Development, and Community Services for Wheatland County.
We are looking for someone who embodies our values. That means someone who is known for being honest, ethical, professional, consistent, innovative, and transparent.
The successful candidate will be known as a subject matter expert but also have business expertise and long term vision to move the departments forward.
If you consider yourself to be a resilient leader and someone who is passionate about doing good in the community, please read on…
What you will be responsible for…
- Provide leadership, offer open communication, empower staff, provide advice and guidance, and give approval and support where needed.
- Meet regularly with team leaders and department staff to keep abreast of departmental operations; facilitate two-way information exchange and provide input for operational critique and improvements.
- Provide expertise regarding the development of policy recommendations, municipal strategic planning and implementation, issues resolution, and other operational matters.
- Be an active participant in strategic planning to support the achievement of Wheatland County short and long-term business goals.
- Lead the preparation of your department’s strategic plans and budgets to meet the goals and objectives of the County’s Strategic Business Plan.
- Provide reports and information on Department services and attend meetings of the Council, Council Committees, Municipal Planning Commission, and Boards, as required.
- Proactively communicate with County residents through a broad range of communication tools.
- Engage and communicate with senior management, Council, colleagues, customers, external agencies, government, and vendors tactfully and courteously.
- Organize and determine applications and projects for Municipal Planning Commission and Council review and approval.
- Establish objectives and oversee the execution of the current Wheatland County Economic Development Strategy.
- Establish objectives and oversee the creation and results of all long-range land use planning updates and initiatives, including any revisions to the Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Inter-municipal Development Plans (IDPs), and Land Use Bylaw (LUB).
- Integrate the new Calgary Metropolitan Regional Board Plan into County planning documents and adhere to the new regional land use rules and processes for the defined area.
- Establish and maintain positive inter-municipal relationships; facilitate and coordinate Inter-municipal Development Plans and Mutual Servicing Agreements to provide mutual services and partnerships for the County.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Parks, Open Space, Community Enhancement, Cemeteries, and Library Services with respect to policies, programs, and resources to stated objectives of the department.
What you will bring to the position…
- A degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary educational institution in the field of planning, business, or a related field; a post graduate degree would be an asset.
- Strong background in managing operational, professional, or technical employees.
- Post-secondary training and / or experience in administering a Land Use bylaw, statutory plans and the Municipal Government Act.
- Five to seven (5-7) years of progressive experience in a senior level leadership role.
- Private sector business and business development experience are strong assets.
- Experience in a rural municipality is preferred.
- High proficiency in the use of computer programs including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal / interpersonal
- Strong presentation skills.
- Excellent public relations skills with the ability to develop and maintain working relationships with external stakeholders.
- Strong skills in public policy and bylaws development.
- Effective problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills; comfortable managing many different priorities concurrently.
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence.
- This position works a 5-day work week, Monday to Friday, with one week day off in a 3-week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week.
Closing Date: March 3, 2019
Please submit resume or send to: Human Resources (Marked confidential), Wheatland County RR1 Hwy 1 Strathmore, Alberta T1P 1J6 Fax (403) 934-4889 or firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with Wheatland County’s Personnel Policy, the successful candidate will be required to submit to a Criminal Records Check, and must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.