Safety / Health / Environment
County of Newell & City of Brooks
The County of Newell and City of Brooks is currently accepting applications to join our Corporate Safety Services Department as our new Corporate Safety Services Officer. This is a permanent full-time position operating out of the County of Newell building that will assist and fulfill the corporate safety needs of both the County of Newell and City of Brooks.
If you are passionate about safety and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, then this is the job for you! As our new Corporate Safety Services Officer, you will be responsible for providing professional, administrative, and technical support to the Manager of Corporate Safety Services and will be responsible for managing the detailed activities of corporate safety services.
Duties include the following:
- Assisting in all aspects of corporate safety including, but not limited to: accident investigation; injury prevention; risk management; workers compensation; occupational health and safety; and the enforcement of health and safety policies in both municipalities.
- Providing technical advice, coaching, guidance and mentoring to employees on safe work practices, safety initiatives and necessary changes.
- Assisting with the preparation and coordination of internal and external Health & Safety Management System Audits per Certifying Partner cycle.
- Delivering general Health & Safety Orientations and safety training to all staff at the County of Newell and City of Brooks.
Preference will be given to applicants possessing:
- High School Diploma or equivalent, supplemented by a post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in Occupational Health & Safety or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in creating, implementing and maintaining safety/risk management programs, preferably in a municipal setting.
- Skills and experience in workplace injury prevention would be an asset.
- Alberta Municipal Health and Safety Association (AMHSA) internal auditor certification, or the ability and willingness to obtain this certification.
- Strong public speaking skills including the ability to prepare and deliver in-house safety and risk training;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe, Laserfiche, eCompliance, WorkTech, Diamond and Visio would be preferred.
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract.
February 22, 2019
The County of Newell offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes the Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP), and Health and Wellness Benefits. Salary is negotiable but will be based on qualifications and level of experience.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in confidence by the end of day on February 22, 2019, including salary expectations and three (3) work related references to:
Attention Human Resources
City of Brooks
PO Box 130
Brooks, AB T1R 1B2