Utilities Maintenance - Water 1
City of Courtenay
Utilities Maintenance - Water 1
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of "Utilities Maintenance – Water 1” in the Transportation & Utilities Maintenance Division. This is a union position and is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Working as part of a cooperative team effort, and through the use of manual labour and powered equipment and tools, the incumbent constructs and/or installs, inspects, maintains, cleans and repairs various components of the City’s water distribution system. The incumbent also reads and records water meters for billing purposes; and locates service lines.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Current Water Distribution Level 1 certification through Environmental Operators Certification Program (EOCP) (willingness to work towards obtaining Water Distribution Level II)
- Valid BC Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement
- Sound (3 years) experience of safely and effectively working in a water distribution system, including hands on experience of installation, maintenance and repair of water main, valves, hydrants, meters, and other related distribution system components.
- Some experience in the safe operation of heavy equipment (Front End Loader, Dump Truck, etc) within the last three (3) years
- Sound knowledge of proper public works construction and maintenance practices related to utilities infrastructure
- Sound knowledge of methods, tools, equipment and procedures related to water distribution systems including standard methods for bacteriological sampling and testing, cross-connection control and disinfection
- Some knowledge of mechanical and hydraulic principles
- Some basic office computer skills Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, system diagrams and mapping, and construction standards and specifications
- Ability to create and maintain manual and/or computerized records, and report/interpret data information
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in an independent manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships within a team oriented operation
- Ability to frequently perform heavy manual labour over long periods of time and frequently work in potentially hazardous working conditions such as heavy traffic areas, trenches, chambers, and other confined spaces Additional requirements after hiring:
- First Aid Emergency Level - Industry and CPR Level A Certification; Traffic Control training; WHMIS Certification; Equipment Operator's training, Confined Spaces Training, Asbestos Handling, Forklift training, and other job related safety training BC Water and Waste Association (BCWWA) Membership
This full-time position is available immediately. The current hourly wage rate is $32.09 based on a 40-hour workweek. In addition, EOCP Certificate bonuses are paid as per Letter of Understanding with CUPE Local 556 dated April 2017.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a letter of application and resume clearly marked "Application – Utilities Maintenance – Water 1" no later than February 24, 2019.
To submit your application, go to www.courtenay.ca/jobs