Labourer I - Parks
Labourer I - Parks
Temporary Full Time, 6 months - 40 hours per week
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Engineering & Operations Department, Parks Division, seeks individuals who have parks labouring experience and/or experience with parks construction and maintenance to join their team on a Temporary Full-Time basis. The labourer performs a variety of parks construction, carpentry and maintenance laboring duties involving considerable physical effort. Duties include maintaining turf, flower beds, shrubs, and trees; performing ground preparation and maintenance; assisting with the construction of small parks structures; performing cement work and concrete installation, including brick paver installation; operating a variety of small equipment and driving trucks with trailers; performing parks maintenance inspections and performing routine equipment maintenance.
- Completion of Grade 12 plus job-related experience including 18 months experience operating road licensed lawn mowers and operating small equipment used in the performance of parks construction and parks maintenance duties;
- Ability to perform parks maintenance tasks without direct supervision;
- Ability to operate parks maintenance equipment including string-line trimmers, power edgers, chainsaws and hedge trimmers safely and effectively;
- Ability to complete semi-skilled carpentry tasks;
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Ability to work outdoors in all conditions, including inclement weather;
- Working knowledge of and ability to apply pruning and fertilizing procedures;
- Knowledgeable in the operation of a road licensed lawn mower;
- Knowledge of the physical layout of White Rock considered an asset;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $28.38 hourly (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and drivers abstract for consideration by the application deadline. A copy of your GED must be submitted during the interview stage.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m., February 17, 2019
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2019-06
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted.