Utilityperson - Sewers & Drainage
Utilityperson - Sewers & Drainage
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
7:30am - 4:00pm
$30.58 per hour (2019 rates) + comprehensive benefits package
Reporting to the Supervisor, Sewer & Drainage Branch, you will perform manual maintenance, repair and installation work. Your duties include: locating and repairing broken or blocked sewer services and mains; installing inspection chambers and sewer services to the main; repairing and installing of catch basins; handling customer request calls; performing maintenance on sewer equipment such as pumps, Spartan Electric Rod’s and other related tools in the Sewer & Drainage Branch; conducting T.V inspection sewer services and following up with a full and complete report on all sewer related issues; responding independently to emergency and after hour calls, and other related duties as required.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work
- You have completed Grade 12
- You have considerable experience in the maintenance of municipal sewer & drainage services and facilities, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- It would be a bonus if you have EOCP Wastewater Collection Level 1 certification or have completed other related courses in sewers, drainage and safety related training.
- You have considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance, installation and repair of municipal sewer & drainage services and facilities
- You have sound knowledge of the City’s sewer & drainage system
- You have considerable knowledge of the safety precautions and hazards applicable to the work
- You have the ability to effectively perform tasks with minimum supervision and to exercise good judgment and independence when responding to emergency calls, after hours calls or other situations
- You have the ability to supervise the work of employees engaged in sewer & drainage maintenance, installation and repair operations
- You have the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- You have the ability to read and work from blueprints, plans, layouts and sketches, and prepare and maintain records related to the work
- You have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other contacts
- You have the ability to employ contemporary services excellence principles at work
- You have the skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the work
- You must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- You must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check
*This position participates in a Compressed Work Week program.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-02 by January 25, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604) 527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.