Payroll CoordinatorFull-Time Regular
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We offer competitive salaries; exceptional benefit packages with valuable pension plan; employee wellness and recognition programs; and many diverse opportunities for professional growth and development.
We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
We need leadership, dynamism, and expertise to guide and protect the livability of our region. We need you.
Our Financial Services Department is seeking a Payroll Coordinator who will help to provide accurate and timely payroll processing and will make a positive addition to our team.
You are: A Payroll Compliance Practitioner who is detailed, accurate and enjoys working in a team environment.
The Payroll Coordinator reports to the Supervisor, Payroll Operations & Systems and falls within our Professional / Technical Level 1 job family.
- Processes the bi-weekly payroll for Metro Vancouver employees and Directors. Processes employee time reporting submissions, payroll adjustments, retroactive pay adjustments, benefit deductions and payments, statutory and non-statutory deductions and employee leave balances.
- Ensures the payroll is produced on time and is responsible for confirming and verifying the payroll bank transmission.
- Assists to ensure payroll is processed accurately and is in compliance with tax legislation, collective agreements, employment standards, corporate policies and other acts and regulations.
- Processes employee termination cheques and prepares and sends Record of Employment documents to Service Canada. Remits and reconciles statutory and non-statutory deductions; reviews and processes benefit and retro pay adjustment requests; processes and verifies employee leave banks; and assists to ensure appropriate payouts as specified in the collective agreements and corporate policies.
- Prepares, reviews and reconciles annual, monthly and bi-weekly payroll reports. Identifies, researches and corrects anomalies and consults supervisor on issues outside of established rules. Assists supervisor with year-end processes including the preparation of T4 documents. Remits benefit deductions and reconciles amounts to the payroll register and invoices from benefit carriers. Prepares bi-weekly direct deposit pay advices and payroll registers. Provides ad hoc payroll reporting to managers on matters such as overtime as required.
- Provides accurate, clear, and consistent information in response to payroll enquiries from employees, Directors and external organizations. Provides and explains information related to earnings, deductions, taxable benefits, salary administration and vacation and /or sick leave entitlements. Provides regular guidance and support to client departments regarding employee time entry and other payroll related matters. Consults supervisor on matters outside established rules.
- Participates in the planning, development and testing of new payroll and time entry systems and processes. Provides support to test system functionality and identifies process or system enhancement opportunities and discusses with supervisor. Troubleshoots system problems and consults supervisor on issues as appropriate. Documents business processes and changes ensuring that all relevant parties are informed.
- Maintains an accurate record of work activities ensuring approvals, corrections and changes are appropriately documented.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 2-3 years of recent, related experience supplemented by a university degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as accounting, finance or business; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Previous experience working in a complex, multi-union full-cycle payroll environment is required.
- Certification as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner with the Canadian Payroll Association is required.
- Complete knowledge of the methods, principles and practices related to employee remuneration.
- Knowledge of the regulations and rules applicable to payroll operations.
- Strong numerical aptitude and knowledge of accounting practices and principles; ability to perform complex mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy. A high level of attention to detail including the ability to process and reconcile a large amount of data efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to use judgment to evaluate, research, and resolve problems within established guidelines and procedures and determine which methods are applicable in any given situation.
- Ability to apply policies and procedures to routine and unique situations as well as determine cases requiring the involvement of a supervisor. Ability to understand collective agreement language as well as its application in the payroll system.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, and support the resolution of problems. Demonstrated ability to draft business letters and email correspondence from limited instructions or precedent.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships; applies team effectiveness skills and contributes to the achievement of team goals.
- Skill in dealing tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations including exercising substantial discretion with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet multiple time based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy; persistent in overcoming obstacles.
- Considerable proficiency using a complex payroll system such as PeopleSoft.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by January 21, 2019.