Chief Administrative Officer
Chief Administrative Officer
Township of East Zorra-Tavistock, Ontario
East Zorra-Tavistock is a historic, rural township in southwestern Ontario with a population of 6,800, home to breathtaking scenery, a thriving agricultural industry, rural accommodations, quaint towns, rich history and iconic attractions. Part of Oxford County, the township is close to Stratford and Woodstock and includes the communities of Braemar, Cassel, East Zorra, Hickson, Huntingford, Innerkip, Perry Mine, Perry’s Lane, Strathallan, Tavistock, Tollgate, Willow Lake, and Woodstock Airport. More information is at www.ezt.ca
Reporting to a seven member Council including the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) will advise Council in developing and implementing policy, strategy and programs that address the needs of the Township. The CAO will lead a team of five senior managers, 17 employees and an operating budget of $6M in the delivery of Council-approved initiatives and delivering public works, finance, building, development, drainage and emergency services to a growing and developing community. Key responsibilities will include:
Policy and Management
- Serving Council as its principal advisor on the feasibility and desirability of proposed policies, programs and by-laws initiated by Council, staff or the Province; providing information on the cost and administrative impact of proposals that may affect the Council's decision making.
- Making presentations to Council on policy proposals and utilizing appropriate staff members and selected outside advisors when necessary.
- Directing the preparation and presentation of operating and capital budgets and presenting budget proposals to Council that document the short and long term fiscal objectives of the corporation.
- Providing direction to the management of financial services, following Council's approval of budgets and fiscal policies and directing the management of finance and accounting systems with suitable controls and information systems to guide budget performance.
- Directing cash management, debenturing, revenue and expenditure procedures according to policy and legislation and managing all aspects of the Township Insurance Program.
- Directing tendering and expenditures for goods and services that are required for carrying out corporate policy and public services.
- Providing people leadership, development and management, fostering teamwork and working with Council to achieve a correct balance of formality and informality that is essential to achievement of township goals and plans.
- Directing the effective utilization and employment of managers and staff, conducting reviews and evaluation of staff performance, adjusting job descriptions when necessary within the overall organizational structure approved by Council.
- Recommending action concerning salaries, benefits, terms of service, training and development to ensure equitable treatment of staff by the Township.
- Administering the Township's personnel policy that governs the hiring, employment and termination of staff.
- Chairing the Staff Committee - a forum for the co-ordination of policy advice, direction for implementation and administration of programs and the ongoing development of the organization.
- Managing the Township Health & Safety Program.
- Maintaining strong working relationships with the municipal auditor, municipal solicitor, consultants and representatives of other governments and directing their efforts on the corporation's behalf.
- Maintaining proper relationships with the news media.
- Encouraging the bond of trust between elected and appointed officials, monitoring the interaction between the policy and administration and discussing areas of concern with the Mayor and Council when there are risks of role reversal (when elected officials become unnecessarily involved in administrative detail and administrative people become directly involved in policy making) and recommending and implementing solutions when needed.
- Ensuring that policies that cross departmental lines are effectively co-ordinated.
- Attending all Council meetings and supervising administrative support for Council.
Corporate Services Manager
Emergency Services Manager
Public Works Manager
Building, Development and Drainage Manager
Feldman Daxon Partners Contact Information:
To express interest, please contact and/or forward your cover letter and resume to:
Patrick Rowan, Partner, Feldman Daxon Partners
45 St. Clair Avenue West, Suite 700, Toronto, Ontario M4V 1K9
Tel.: 416-515-7600 x254
About Feldman Daxon Partners
Feldman Daxon Partners is Canada’s longest-standing national provider of executive search, career transition, and coaching/leadership development services. Since 1991, we have been at the forefront of innovation in human resources consulting by integrating these three services. Our Executive Search practice has been locating top talent for senior executive and managerial positions on a retainer-fee basis since our firm was founded in 1991. Our unwavering set of core values and dedication to client service has allowed us to build and maintain relationships with hundreds of clients in virtually every market sector, and across Canada. Regular communication, high quality candidate shortlists, industry knowledge, judgment, and expediency in our retainer search services are all reasons Canada’s leading companies choose to partner with the professionals at Feldman Daxon.
Accommodation Needs and Protection of Privacy
Feldman Daxon Partners and our clients are committed to inclusion and diversity and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Prior to any interview or meeting, please make your needs known by contacting us and informing us of your needs. Personal information collected on behalf of our municipal clients in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with our clients only.