Communications Coordinator I (Communications Coordinator - Media Monitoring)
Communications Coordinator I (Communications Coordinator - Media Monitoring)Requisition ID: 12436
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As part of the portfolio team, the Communications Coordinator provides professional best practice-based communications support to the assigned operational client departments, which includes but is not limited to: media monitoring and coverage analysis, translation of media materials, media relations, strategic communications, public consultation, stakeholder relations, publicity and public engagement. This work involves research, writing, editing, planning, strategizing and collaboration.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Works as an integral part of the Communications team, under the supervision and direction of the Communications Manager – Media and Issues Management.
- Monitor, collate and analyze media output relating to the City of Vancouver
- Evaluate and provide insight to internal clients regarding the effectiveness of communication activities in terms of meeting departmental and/or program objectives.
- Develop, coordinate, and, upon approval, implement process improvement plans for communication projects
- Monitor project budgets
- Oversee the work of consultants involved with a variety of programs and projects.
- Research, write, produce and executes a wide variety of communications tactics for web, social media, advertising, video and print.
- Write project specific content and oversees production of communication materials
- Assist in arranging news conferences and other special events.
- Prepare reports, presentations, correspondence and other materials related to the work.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or university degree in journalism, communications or related discipline, plus considerable related experience OR minimum five years’ experience working in corporate communication setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong English language communication skills, both written and oral.
- Experienced in media data collation, analysis, monitoring and process improvement
- Skilled at management of content tracking, particularly the set-up and maintenance of keywords, metadata and search strings
- An understanding of the media landscape and trends, particularly in Metro Vancouver and BC.
- Ability to develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate insight-driven communication projects
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to professional communications
- Demonstrate good working knowledge of local government and how it operates.
- Experienced in writing and editing for web, print, social media, video and advertising.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective liaison and working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to identify risk to the organization in potentially contentious issues and escalate them to a superior.
- Experience in developing reports, presentations, correspondence and other related materials.
- Strong written and spoken language skills in Cantonese, Mandarin, Traditional and Simplified Chinese or Punjabi would be a desirable asset
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $37.23 to $43.95 per hour
Application Close: December 16, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.