Policy / Planning / Research
Town of Sylvan Lake
In this role as a Planner I within the department of Planning & Development you will be responsible for community planning initiatives in consultation with the departmental director. This includes working developers, the public, staff and regulatory bodies to ensure consistent and timely communication.
- Develop strategies to promote community development and efficient land use consistent with community goals. This includes development of new policies and bylaw regulations related to land use, as well as statutory and non-statutory plans and other Municipal Planning documents.
- Preparation of statutory plans and non-statutory plans. Review Outline Plans and develop lead initiatives to ensure the Town’s goals for community development are achieved.
- Process applications for bylaw amendments, including rezoning and other Statutory Plan amendments, in accordance with regulations and policies contained in the relevant municipal and provincial legislation.
- Write and present formal and technical reports, working papers, and correspondence to Council and other Municipal Committees. Attend a variety of Committee and board meetings to provide technically sound planning advice.
- Provide sound planning advice and input to all departments, using a high level of understanding in regards to multi-disciplinary practices, and helping to lead small project teams to drive internal decision making and results.
- Facilitate public meetings and open houses; make presentations to the public and stakeholders on current plans, and prepare all related presentation materials.
- Ensure all planning processes follow appropriate legislations including but not limited to the MGA, Town bylaws, policies, and procedures.
- Review and process development applications within Direct Control Districts and Neighborhood Redevelopment Overlay districts to ensure long term vision and architectural standards are met.
- Conduct extensive research in specific or general project areas related not only to planning but urban development and redevelopment, sustainability initiatives, and lake management.
- Assisting the Development section in day-to-day operations as required by the Development Manager
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) or membership in the Member Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP) is desirable.
- A Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, or a related field, and a minimum of four (4) years of related experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning, as well as applicable legislation and regulatory requirements in Alberta.
- Knowledgeable in issues related to lakefront development and lake management.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multi-task, problem solve and meet tight timelines under pressure.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with aptitude for long-term visioning and strategic thinking.
- Strong working knowledge and skills with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint; working knowledge of GIS and awareness of project management tools an asset.
- Ability to establish and maintain a high degree of public confidence and public relations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with all employees, elected officials, development industry professionals and the public in a positive approach.
- Ability to challenge the status quo while building positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work cooperatively, supporting co-workers in a positive team environment and share work expertise and knowledge
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be a major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package and an excellent work/life balance situation.
Closing Date: December 30, 2018
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for, by December 30, 2018, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue
Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660