Manager of Discovery and Support Services
Manager of Discovery and Support Services
To be determined
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday 0830 – 1630
4:00 p.m., December 17, 2018 (Include your name and the competition number in subject line of email.)
About the Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region's beauty: pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within approximately 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 132,663 located within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
Our Library System
The Thompson-Nicola Regional Library (TNRL), a department of the TNRD is seeking a Manager of Discovery and Support Services. The TNRL has been dedicated to meeting the lifelong learning, reading and informational needs of residents for over 40 years. Through our 13 libraries and mobile library service circulating over one million items each year, we are a leader in literacy and transform lives through knowledge and information. By providing resources that enrich, educate and empower, we help make this the best region in British Columbia to live, work and play. We value customer service, education and lifelong learning, intellectual freedom, equity, respect and innovation.
As a leader within a system-wide team environment, the Manager of Discovery and Support Services has a significant impact throughout the TNRL. Your exemplary technical knowledge, and ability to enhance discovery and access to library resources is fundamental to this position. You are innovative, diplomatic, collaborative and committed to supporting an environment of respect and accountability. You have a passion for helping others and a belief in the importance of literacy.
Reporting to the Chief Librarian, you will provide leadership and support by:
- Leading our centralized support services team that includes: collections, acquisitions, processing and allocation of all library materials
- Overseeing our Integrated Library System (Sierra – Innovative Interface)
- Leading the development of our E-Library and expansion of digital resources
- Ensuring seamless service delivery within a geographically diverse library system
- Advising and working collegially with library management, librarians and branch heads on strategic initiatives
- Contributing to planning and implementation of overall TNRL plans and initiatives (including budgeting, staffing, resource allocation, etc.,)
- Modelling excellent customer service, and building community connections and partnerships
- Collaborating with IT, HR and Finance within a shared-service environment
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Master of Library and Information Studies degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Minimum of 5 years of recent and relevant experience in positions of increasing complexity and supervisory responsibility, with 3 years at a supervisory level
- Experience in administering an integrated library system, would be considered an asset
Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of technology used in a library setting
- Service development and project management experience
- Superior time management and organizational skills -- effectively managing projects and multiple priorities
- Proven ability to lead and motivate staff, assess training and development needs and evaluate performance
- Self-motivated and evolving learner
- Effective analytical, change management and problem solving abilities
- Exceptional communication abilities including written, verbal and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of trends in library service delivery and related technologies
- Must have a Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to travel in all weather conditions
This is a non-union position, with a competitive compensation package being offered.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. on December 17, 2018.
(Please include your name and the competition number: 2018-073 in the subject line of your email.)
Applications must include a cover letter and a resume outlining your qualifications and experience. The TNRL requires that all successful applicants undergo a Criminal Record Check.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents!
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
MUNICIPALITIES: Ashcroft, Barriere, Cache Creek, Chase, Clearwater, Clinton, Kamloops, Logan Lake, Lytton, Merritt, Sun Peaks ELECTORAL AREAS: “A “B” “E” “I” “J” “L” “M” “N” “O”“P”