Permanent, Full Time Position
With an outstanding temperate climate, surrounded by mountains and set on the shores of Kootenay Lake, part of Nelson's charm is its stunning scenery and quintessential small-town atmosphere. But don't let the location fool you - this community boasts a strong and diverse economy. Locals enjoy a wide range of recreational activities year round including skiing, hiking, biking, fishing, ice sports and much more.
The RDCK is seeking applications for the Planning Manager position based in Nelson, BC. Reporting to the General Manager of Development Services, the Planning Manager is responsible for the provision of current and long-range planning services for 11 electoral areas of the RDCK. This is an exciting position that will play a key role in the ongoing development and expansion of Planning Services that align with Development Services values and goals of evidence-based policy development, stakeholder engagement, protection of public interest through land use planning, and balancing the environmental, economic and social needs of regional residents.
The Planning team is increasing in size and as such, we are seeking an innovative leader who can work with our dedicated team to promote development as well as work strategically to meet Board priorities supporting regional growth and sustainability throughout the region. This position will suit Registered Planning Professionals with significant knowledge and skill in a municipal or regional government setting who are seeking an opportunity to influence and guide the development and implementation of land use planning tools and documents. The RDCK is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, work/life balance and an amazing community to call home.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Seven years experience in the field of planning preferably in a regional district or municipal environment; or seven years experience consulting with local government at a senior level;
- Two years experience supervising technical staff;
- Registered Planning Professional designation, or eligibility to attain;
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree in in land use planning or a related field (Masters qualification would be considered an asset);
- An equivalent combination of experience, qualification and abilities will be considered for this position;
- Significant knowledge of principles and practices of rural land use planning and development in BC;
- Experience developing and implementing long range planning tools and programs;
- Satisfactory Criminal Record, valid BC Drivers License and a satisfactory Drivers Abstract.
This posting, along with a detailed job description, can be found on our website at www.rdck.ca under Administration, Jobs & Employment Opportunities. Applications in the form of a resume and cover letter listing qualifications, experience and skills relative to the position will be accepted by email or post until 12 noon on Monday January 7, 2019. If you have any questions about this position, please contact us by phone or email before the closing date.
Human Resources, Regional District of Central Kootenay
Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive, Nelson, BC V1L 5R4
Phone: (250) 352-8150