Building WorkerRequisition ID: 12454
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation is accepting applications from qualified individuals to be added to a pool of Building Workers (BW) to join our auxiliary team. This role will provide qualified candidates an opportunity to work in and across a diverse portfolio of facilities and spaces in the City, including several 2010 Olympic venues. Qualified candidates will be assessed on the basis of their skills, knowledge and abilities, and may be selected for an interview should they meet the qualifications and requirements of the position and a vacant opportunity exists.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Building Worker is responsible for the enhancement of civic buildings by completing janitorial duties and minor maintenance. A key part of the role requires knowledge of standard cleaning methods and the ability to learn new and effective methods to ensure the cleanliness of the facilities. This Building Worker is responsible for performing a variety of heavy cleaning tasks including stripping and waxing floors, cleaning windows, cleaning washrooms, showers and change rooms, carpet cleaning, emptying garbage, minor maintenance repairs and other related duties as required.
The successful candidate must be able to work mornings, afternoons, evenings, overnights and on weekends.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a certification program in Building Services Work and some related experience.
- Experience performing a variety of routine manual tasks in care, cleaning and general maintenance of buildings.
- Experience operating and using janitorial tools, equipment and supplies.
- Valid BC Drivers License is required where applicable.
- WHMIS is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of materials, methods, safety practices and simple equipment used in janitorial and maintenance work.
- Ability to arrange an effective work schedule under minimum direct instruction.
- Good health and strength sufficient to perform a variety of routine manual tasks in care, cleaning and general maintenance of buildings.
- Skill in the use of heavy cleaning equipment.
All applicants must attach a copy of their Building Services Work certification and any other relevant documents to their application.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: February 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $22.98 to $26.91 per hour (2018 rates)
Application Close: February 1, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.