Visual Communications Specialist
Visual Communications Specialist
COMPETITION NO: 2018-071
TERMS: Permanent Full-Time
START DATE: To be determined
HOURS OF WORK: Monday to Friday 0830 – 1630
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1600, December 14, 2018 (Include your name and the competition number in subject line of email.)
About the Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region's beauty: pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests and both historic and modern areas, all within approximately 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 132,663 located within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
A new opportunity exists for an experienced and motivated team player to join our Communications team. Reporting to the Communications and Marketing Manager, the Visual Communications Specialist will be responsible for designing and preparing a wide range of visual material to support meaningful community engagement.
As a creative communicator with strong print, web, video, and social media skills, you will work with staff to conceptualize and produce visual products for promotional, advertising, educational and informational purposes, including the use of photography and animation for web and broadcast.
The Visual Communications Specialist will develop overall image concepts for specific projects and campaigns, including designs, slogans, and their various applications that are consistent with strategic initiatives and organizational objectives.
Additionally, this role is responsible for updating the corporate and internal website and TNRD’s social media accounts. The Visual Communications Specialist will work on the effective use of visual branding and ensure that materials are consistent in style and in compliance with the corporate visual identity and standards.
You must have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in design, visual communication or fine arts from a recognized postsecondary institution
- Three years’ experience in a similar role in a graphic design and marketing department
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered
- Considerable experience with graphic art and design, typography, layout and presentation methods
- Extensive experience using the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and designing templates used in a corporate PC environment
- Experience with corporate branding standards, theory, and strategy
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and to work independently with limited supervision
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, specifically a demonstrated ability to proactively develop mutually beneficial working relationships
- Ability to influence others in a supportive and constructive manner
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills
- Ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
- Skilled in marketing copywriting and editing
- Considerable knowledge of digital and offset print processes, file formats and workflow bestpractices
- Working knowledge of multimedia, web and electronic workflows
- The ability to work collaboratively with other jurisdictions and contractors on design projects and provide guidance and assistance as needed
- Ability to develop and execute creative design concepts suitable to department needs and projects
This position falls under the provisions of the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 900. The placement of the Visual Communications Specialist is at Pay Grade 8 (subject to review), which is $2,227.16 to $2,576.45.
Please email your application to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on December 14, 2018 (Please include your name and the competition number: 2018-071 in the subject line of your email.)
Applications must include a cover letter and a resume outlining your qualifications and experience. This position requires the completion of a driver’s abstract.