Temporary Full Time (approx. 8 months / 35 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Recreation and Culture Department seeks seeks an individual with outstanding work ethic and a safety first attitude to join their team. The Recreation Programmer is responsible for programming and supervisory work in developing, recommending, planning and implementing recreational, cultural and social programs and activities for various age groups within the community. This role also supervises and oversees the work of seasonal staff and contract instructors, promotes interest in program activities and may assists in budget development.
- Bachelor's degree in community recreation or another discipline related to the work plus;
- Sound related experience, in recreation programming such as children, youth, adult sports, ice & dry floor, day camps and large special events or an equivalent combination of training and experience preferably, in a municipal setting;
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices and objectives of organized community recreation;
- Considerable knowledge of the recreational interests, needs and resources of the community or area served;
- Sound knowledge of the policies, procedures, rules and regulations governing the work performed;
- Sound knowledge of group leadership techniques related to the work;
- Ability to plan, develop, schedule, coordinate and implement leisure service programs that meet the needs and interests of the community served;
- Ability to supervise, direct and oversee the work of staff, contract instructors, and volunteers;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to promote community interest and involvement in the programs offered;
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, reports, correspondence and promotional materials related to the work;
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 4 BC driver’s license;
- Must provide and maintain a successful Police Information Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $30.98 – $36.45 (2018 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, current drivers abstract, and a copy of your degree for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2018-57
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted