Planner II (Heritage Planner)
Planner II (Heritage Planner)Requisition ID: 12293
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Heritage Planner will be responsible for complex professional heritage planning work consisting of review of heritage conservation projects and development of heritage policy. This position reports to the Senior Heritage Planner. The successful candidate will be well–versed in heritage conservation, urban design, development and planning work including policy development, consultation, negotiation, review, and analysis of rezoning, development, building permit, and other related applications from small to large developments as well as city wide policies and large scale community plans.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Project manage heritage review input from the initial enquiry through to issuance of the development permit.
- Prepare reports and make presentations to relevant Committees, including the Vancouver Heritage Commission, Heritage Committees, Urban Design Panel, the Development Permit Board, and City Council and in public meetings and sessions is required.
- The nature of this work is multi-disciplinary, within a team environment and can be controversial. It also involves supervision of junior professional staff.
- The position requires considerable professional experience with proven ability in the areas of heritage conservation and heritage policy development including familiarity with the City’s heritage policies and processes.
- The position requires a high degree of skill and versatility and sound judgement in the application of heritage conservation principles to a range of projects and independent action within the parameters of work assignments, planning policies, by-laws and design guidelines.
- The work may also involve a high number of enquiries and public contact that requires consistent and accurate advice be given.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation from a recognized university, preferably with a post-graduate degree, in Architecture, or a combination of Architecture and Planning with a specialty in Heritage Conservation and considerable professional experience in the heritage conservation field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in the areas of heritage conservation, architecture, urban design, building construction and heritage project financial pro forma analysis
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in leading teams and in project management.
- Ability to work within a team environment and within defined time lines.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in negotiating and conflict resolution.
- Working knowledge of the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada.
- Understanding the principles of conservation plan development, heritage evaluation, Statement of Significance document, and the concept of Heritage Revitalization Agreement as an important conservation tool
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia and/or the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Membership or eligibility for membership with the Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals (CAHP) is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: December, 2019
Position End Date: December 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $47.82 to $56.57 per hour
Application Close: November 18, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.