Landscape Development Specialist
Landscape Development SpecialistRequisition ID: 12300
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Landscape Development Specialist performs specialized technical work of a landscape architectural nature involving responsibility for reviewing proposed landscape plans and specifications submitted for Development Applications, working collaboratively with other departments on site coordination, providing guidance to the public and applicants and assisting with research on sustainable landscape development.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs development related work including screening and processing outright development applications and working collaboratively with Development Planners and Project Coordinators during the review of conditional permit applications. Reviews are performed to ensure projects meet provisions of the Protection of Trees Bylaw, Design Guidelines, various planning policies and address goals of the Urban Forest Strategy, Access to Nature and Green Infrastructure initiatives.
- Performs collaborative inter-departmental problem solving with Park Board and Engineering to ensure coordinated site plans regarding tree retention and protection, utility placement and site access.
- Provides general landscape development advice through Enquiry Counter and phone service.
- Performs research tasks as required.
- Considerable independent judgement and action is exercised in the technical aspects of the work, while unusual or controversial maters are discussed with a superior.
- Work performance is reviewed in terms of conformance to established policies and procedures, efficiency in time management and the quality of services rendered.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation in Landscape Architecture plus sound related experience;
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge and recent experience in: landscape architectural design principles, methods and practices and landscape construction methods and materials and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable by-laws and regulations and of the departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures governing the work; knowledge of green infrastructure and arboriculture practices and principles;
- Working knowledge of current development practices and urban design principles.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to interpret and explain applicable by-laws, regulations and related requirements to same; ability to perform a variety of inspectional, investigational and evidentiary duties related to the work.
- Membership with the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects is desirable; and eligibility to be certified by the International Society of Arboriculture is desirable.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2018
Number of Positions: 2
Salary Information: Pay Grade: GR-025: $37.23 to $43.95 per hour
Application Close: November 18, 2018
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.