Planner ICommunity Services
Competition No. 18-34E
Located in the south-central region of B.C., the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen covers an area over 10,400 km2 and is renowned for its orchards, vineyards and recreational opportunities, as well as its widely varied landscape including deserts, mountains and valleys, and pristine lakes. Outdoor recreational opportunities are endless throughout the Regional District and residents enjoy a wide array of activities all year long.
Reporting to the General Manager of Community Services, the Planner I provides advice to internal and external clients relating to a variety of programs and community services such as the Regional Transit Program and public amenity planning. The Planner I will lead planning studies, schedule and conduct meetings with staff, advisory commissions and outside agencies and conduct research leading to analytical reports and documents.
- Bachelor’s Degree in parks planning, landscape architecture or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ related experience. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience in the areas of transit planning, landscape architecture, sustainable development, project management, and/or environmental science.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact with public groups and facilitate issue identification, issue resolution and consensus building.
- Ability to work on a number of concurrent tasks with deadline pressures.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion and integrity.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel).Experience with mapping and design software would be considered an asset.
- Understanding of the program development process and how to implement new initiatives, including planning, costing, team building, implementation strategies and building in feedback and evaluation techniques.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends, as required.
- Ability to pass and maintain a criminal record check.
- Valid B.C. Driver’s Licence.
This regular, full-time position is included in the BCGEU bargaining unit. The hourly wage for this position is $36.66, Paygrade 8, plus an attractive fringe benefits package. Qualified individuals are invited to submit their applications quoting Competition No. 18-34E by 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 25, 2018 to:
Human Resources Department
Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
101 Martin Street, Penticton, BC V2A 5J9
Tel: (250) 492-0237 Fax: (250) 492-0063
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.