Director of Public Works and Recreation
Township of West Lincoln
Director of Public Works and Recreation
PUBLIC WORKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT
NON UNION (Level 6)
CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
Provides leadership, coaching, direction, technical expertise and general oversight of the Public Works and Recreation Department including roads, water and wastewater distribution and treatment, storm drainage, engineering services, development design review and subdivision agreements, programming and facilities. As a member of the Senior Management Team develops, manages and supports strategies, plans, departmental budget coordination, asset management planning, needs assessments and policies and procedures.
- Degree or diploma in civil engineering.
- Demonstrated technical strength in the field of municipal engineering and public works.
- Highly developed leadership and coaching skills.
- Extensive project management skill set.
- Well-developed sense of political acuity, in terms of internal personal and organizational dynamics, and in the context of the political and community-relations realms.
- Five to ten years progressive management experience, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation and policies that affect local government, including familiarity with municipal law, insurance and labour relations.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of the senior management team, demonstrating leadership and innovation in program initiatives.
- Well-developed presentation and report-writing skills in dealing with complex and technical information, often confidential in nature.
- Excellent oral, written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Proven analytical, problem solving and conflict management skills.
- Clear understanding of the importance of maintaining high standards of objectivity, tact, confidentiality and fairness.
- Proficiency with computers and MS Office applications including spreadsheet management.
- Valid Ministry of Transport Class “G” Drivers License.
- Provide overall management and direction of the Public Works & Recreation Department including capital and operational planning, organizing, and directing the operation of traffic, transportation, engineering services, the municipal road network, water distribution and sanitary sewage collection systems, parks and recreation facilities and programs, engineering services related to new land development, including preparation of subdivision agreements, security calculations, compliance of servicing with approved design, warranty administration and assumption protocols. .
- Develop and oversee annual departmental business plans, including operating and capital budgets as approved by Council.
- Oversee and guide procurement and purchasing practices in accordance with policy, including Requests for Proposals, Tenders and operational expenditures in order to ensure maximum value and adherence to approved budget.
- Ensure a high level of competence and promote professional development of staff, including required designations and certifications and encourage and promote appropriate training and talent development.
- Manage the ongoing development, implementation and monitoring of the Public Works & Recreation elements of the municipal Strategic Plan, as directed by the CAO & Council.
- Leadership and solid understanding of the development, approval and implementation of short-term and long-term departmental plans with emphasis on Asset Management and life-cycle projections.
- Responsible for recommending and formulating policies, procedures and guidelines for the delivery and co-ordination of services and ensures the implementation and documentation of same.
- On an ongoing basis, evaluates the efficiency and effectivenessof all departmental activities and recommends changes, as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance, training and staff supervision pertaining to applicable provincial and federal legislation, i.e. WHMIS; Occupational Health & Safety standards and practices, Workers Compensation Act.
- Responsible for carrying out all administrative duties as Director, including the management of all agreements and contracts.
- Co-ordinates and reviews all departmental reports, as appropriate, to be provided to Committee and/or Council.
- Serve as member of Senior Management Committee and attend meetings of the Committee and Council, as directed by the CAO.
- In accordance with the policies adopted by Council and in consultation with the CAO, responsible for hiring, promotion, performance management, discipline and termination of all departmental employees.
- Perform other related duties as may be requested by the Chief Administrative Officer.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com and the deadline for applications is November 30, 2019 at 4 pm.