- Challenging and rewarding opportunity for an experienced Project Technologist.
- Receive a competitive salary plus comprehensive benefits package from start of employment.
- Enjoy the lifestyle benefits of Bruce County, including 2,400 kilometers of pristine coastline!
About Bruce County
Bold and beautiful Bruce County... a healthy, caring community of prosperity and innovation. Bruce County is a safe, caring, and prosperous community located in Southwestern Ontario.
Boasting 2,400 kilometers of pristine Great Lakes coastline, Bruce County is within two hours of Ontario's major urban centers and offers a healthy lifestyle free from traffic jams, congestion and a high cost of living. In fact, Bruce County is part of a thriving sub-provincial economy with direct access to major North American markets and exports exceeding $50 billion.
Hike the path less travelled; breathe in gorgeous sunsets on sandy beaches; surge through forests on two-wheels or splash in a Great Lake! This is our life after work. You will discover a lifestyle that provides endless opportunity for exploration. It will only take you your first day here to realize that this is the explorer's natural playground. Welcome to where we work…
For more information, please visit the Bruce County website.
About the Opportunity
Bruce County is currently seeking a Project Technologist to join our team in Kincardine, Ontario.
Reporting to the Housing Facilities Manager, the Project Technologist is responsible for providing assistance in identifying, implementing and managing required capital improvements, managing the capital budget and the maintenance of energy management systems for 35 county-owned Housing properties.
More specifically, you will be assessing current conditions, forecasting capital expenditures and prioritizing projects based on risk and budget considerations.
Key duties include, but aren't limited to:
- Assisting in preparing and administering technical scopes of work for non-recurring and recurring capital work programs (architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, etc.), in conjunction with consultants
- Ensuring all project work follows applicable legislation and codes
- Undertaking all requirements for capital tendering for county-owned Social Housing assets, including preparation of requests for tender documents, identifying scopes of work, reviewing specifications, addenda and conducting on-site meetings
- Liaising with consultants/contractors/tenants on all proposed and current capital tendered work
- Administering construction contracts, including recommending and negotiating change orders, conducting site meetings, verifying progress payments, conducting site reviews, monitoring and overseeing work of contractors while ordering corrective actions on deficiencies
- Prioritizing/combining capital work as required to minimize risk and maintain housing stock while integrating energy efficiency and decreasing reoccurring maintenance costs within approved spending limits
- Assisting in forecasting and developing a five-year capital plan by advising on proposed work and prioritizing work based on risk and budget considerations
- Preparing and/or organizing cost estimates for proposed capital upgrades
- Forecasting and calculating budget adjustments based on surplus and deficits associated with capital works
- Implementing annual asbestos policy requirements
- Reviewing and analyzing building utilities
- Assisting with preventative maintenance plans
- Investigating and submitting applications for incentives related to construction or additional funding
- Fielding complaints from tenants regarding construction/maintenance issues or related to tendered contractors
- Advising and informing tenants of current and upcoming work
- Compiling and analyzing requests for upgrades from tenants
To qualify for this role, candidates must have a three-year post-secondary diploma in Engineering Technology, Architectural Technology, Facilities Management or a related field.
The successful candidate will have at least five years of experience working as a construction professional with exposure to all aspects of building construction, systems and maintenance.
Our ideal candidate will also possess:
- Demonstrated knowledge of all building sciences, including electrical, plumbing and heating, air conditioning, carpentry, masonry, building envelope, roofing, civil works, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable codes and legislation, e.g. the Ontario Building Code, Fire Code of Ontario, Residential Tenancy Act, the Ontario Clean Water Act, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, AutoCAD, asset management software
- Demonstrated knowledge of forecasting, estimating and budgeting
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to manage coordination efforts in construction projects with various parties, such as building officials, contractors and consultants
- Ability to create realistic schedules to support the timely completion of construction projects
- Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures
- Valid driver’s license and clean abstract
To be successful in working with Bruce County, you will have a strong focus on customer service, be adaptable to changing situations, be committed to upholding health and safety standards, have impeccable organization and problem-solving skills and be able to work individually and as part of a team.
About the Benefits
Upon joining Bruce County, the successful incumbent will be rewarded with a competitive salary, based on experience, and access to a wide range of benefits at the commencement of employment.
- Extended Health and Dental benefits
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- OMERS Pension Plan
If you're looking for a new career challenge where you will be welcomed into a supportive and friendly team culture, apply to join the Bruce County team today!
The Corporation of the County of Bruce is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
APPLY NOW by November 26, 2018.