Program Assistant III
Program Assistant IIIRequisition ID: 12219
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The initial locations for the Program Assistant III positions are at Kerrisdale and Renfrew Community Centres.
Working very closely with the Recreation Programmer II, the Program Assistant III performs routine recreational and introductory recreation programming work. This role will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to gain valueable work experience and great insight on career opportunities within recreation. This position is ideal for an individual with recreation-related experience seeking a new challenge in a busy, fast-paced community centre. In addition to assisting the Recreation Programmer II, this position will have its own diverse portfolio, including planning and coordinating special events and programs and coordinating and overseeing volunteers.
The Program Assistant III position will be responsible for assisting with the development, implementation, administration, and coordination of centre programs; assisting with brochure development, promotion and marketing of programs and special events; setting up and taking down equipment for various programs; assisting with building security and patron safety; administrative duties, such as data entry, developing and maintaining program budgets, records and report management, front office support work; volunteer management, including recruiting, training and scheduling volunteers; and other related duties as required.
Education and Certifications:
- Completion of an approved diploma course in recreation and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia
- Standard or Emergency First Aid with CPR-C
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of the safety practices, policies, regulations and rules applicable to the work performed.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership and development.
- Sound knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of recreational programs and activities as related to the work performed.
- Some knowledge of basic marketing and advertising.
- Ability to coordinate, deliver and participate in various special events and oversee activities and programs offered in an assigned area.
- Ability to plan, assign, review and supervise the work of one or more Contract Instructors.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service skills and exercise consistency and courtesy when handling day-to-day interactions.
- Ability to maintain records and perform a variety of routine clerical tasks related to the work performed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to demonstrate tact and diplomacy.
- Working knowledge of ActiveNet, POS, Photo ID, MS Office software products is desirable.
A valid B.C. Driver's License is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out the job responsibilities.
A Police Record Check is a requirement for this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to the position.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: November 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-016: $25.84 to $30.37 per hour
Application Close: October 21, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.