ArboristRegular Full Time (35 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Planning & Development Services Department, Planning Division, seeks an individual with outstanding work ethic and a safety first attitude to join their team. The Arborist is responsible for responding to inquiries on the tree management bylaw and related issues; reviews all tree management permit applications; makes recommendations for removal, retention and care of trees according to City policy.
- Graduation from a diploma program in arboriculture or horticulture or trades certification in a related field, plus sound related experience preferably, in a municipal setting or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Certification as an Arborist with International Society of Arboriculture.
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) with International Society of Arboriculture.
- Considerable knowledge of arboricultural principles, practices and procedures and of tree species, diseases, pests, and treatment methods.
- Sound knowledge of the City’s policies, tree management bylaw and departmental rules, regulations and procedures applicable to the work.
- Ability to respond to complaints, to identify the nature of tree related problems, and to initiate action to resolve.
- Ability to effectively communicate viewpoints and recommendations orally and in writing and to prepare reports related to a variety of urban tree issues, concerns, practices and procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and files related to the work.
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $34.29 – $40.48 (2018 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter, resume, diploma and certifications for consideration by the application deadline to: www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m., October 28, 2018
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Recruitment Reference: 2018-53
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted