Gardener 1 Semi-Skilled
Gardener 1 Semi-Skilled
(Replacement Temporary, Full-Time)
The West Vancouver Parks Department has an immediate opening for a replacement temporary, full-time Gardener 1 (Semi-Skilled) for approximately 12 months.
Reporting to the Parks Supervisor, this is skilled horticultural work performing specialized gardening tasks involving the cultivation of a variety of flowers and plants in a large garden area. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills (diplomacy and tact) which are required due to the high level of interaction with the public and volunteer groups;
This position will be responsible for:
- Performing a variety of semi-skilled horticultural work in planting, cultivating, fertilizing and pruning flower beds, shrubs, trees, lawns, hedges, and removing debris;
- Maintaining perennial gardens, preparing and maintaining flower beds, grass maintenance, shoveling soil and/or mulch as needed, natural plantings, order plant material, planning and record keeping;
- Supervising the work of one or more assistants;
- Answering a variety of questions from the public regarding horticultural work and/or park facilities; and,
- Performing related work as required.
The preferred candidate will possess: considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in gardening and horticultural work; good knowledge of plant material; and the ability to meet the public and answer a variety of questions relative to horticultural work and park facilities. The following certifications would be considered an asset:
- Completion of a Diploma or Degree in Horticulture or a similar discipline; or,
- Landscape Horticulture trade; and,
- Pesticide Applicator Certificate.
During the assessment process, successful candidates will be required to submit an acceptable Driver’s Abstract from ICBC.
The successful candidate is required to supply a criminal record check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the class specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department and on WestNet.
Position Status: WVMEA (Union) – Permanent, Full-Time
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay: $30.37 - $35.77 per hour
Closing Date: 11:59 p.m. Friday, October 19, 2018
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply through the Career Centre; we are no longer accepting resumes via email or hard copy.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.