School District No. 44 (North Vancouver)
Position: Senior Accountant
Rate: $30.97 per hour (current rate)
Hours of: 35 Hours per week, 12 months
Effective: October 12, 2018 to July 31, 2019 or return of employee
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
The Senior Accountant is responsible for processing, monitoring and reconciling regular and complex financial information in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), School District policies and regulations, provincial statutes, Ministry of Education directives, and other internal and external reporting requirements. The incumbent assists with the preparation of monthly forecasts, annual budgets, quarterly and yearend financial statements, including the quarterly GRE, and other documents. The incumbent is responsible for the timely and accurate processing of journal entries and prepares specialized reports, returns, and claims for reimbursement from government and other agencies. The incumbent provides advice and assistance in financial, accounting, budgeting and technical matters to School District staff, suppliers, and the public and may include providing assistance and training to ensure compliance with policies and procedures. Work is performed under direction with independent judgment and action required. Work performance is reviewed for accuracy, completeness and compliance with accepted standards and practices.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accounting practices such as financial statements, internal controls, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger processing.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations and procedures related to GST and PST calculations and remittances.
- Thorough knowledge of computers and applicable financial software including Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to monitor, reconcile and analyze complex financial information and prepare related reports and statements.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with regulations, procedures and practices and work with independent judgment and action under direction.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and act with a high degree of independent judgment on a variety of matters.
- Ability to use a computer and peripheral equipment and applicable software, to produce from copy, rough draft or general instruction, a variety of material, and compose routine correspondence.
- Ability to work in a team environment and demonstrate collaboration and communication/problem solving skills.
- Ability to provide training and professionally communicate orally and in writing, and deal effectively with School District staff, suppliers, government agencies and the public in supplying information and assistance related to accounting issues and budget matters to ensure compliance with accepted practices.
- Ability to test financial software and participate in systems development initiatives.
- Ability to effectively manage time to meet strict deadlines.
- Skill in the use of a computer and applicable software.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce or Finance, or a two year Accounting Diploma from a recognized educational institution. Enrolment in a recognized accounting program (CGA, CMA, CA) or post-secondary program of study that would equate to an equivalency of CGA Level 4. Five years previous related experience in a computerized accounting environment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
REQUIRED LICENCES, CERTIFICATES AND REGISTRATIONS:
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce or Finance or a two year Accounting Diploma from a recognized educational institution. Enrolment in a recognized accounting program (CGA, CMA, CA) or post-secondary program of study that would equate to an equivalency of CGA Level 4.
We appreciate your interest in applying; however, only those candidates selected to move forward in the application process will be contacted.
Please apply online at www.makeafuture.ca/north-vancouver by November 9th, 2018.