Garage Mechanic (Temporary)
Garage MechanicFull-Time Temporary: This position is to last not later than January 31, 2019
Hours of Work: 40 Hours per week / Monday to Friday 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Join us as we help shape the place people want to be – Metro Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable regions. The services and solutions we provide are the foundation of our region’s economic, ecological and social health. This includes the areas of regional growth planning, air quality, water, liquid and solid waste management, regional parks, affordable housing and community engagement to over 2.5 million residents. We don’t stop, we don’t close and we do what is right, for now and for future generations.
We invite you to bring your skills, passion, and expertise to help us in our commitment to sustain and enhance our region’s livability. We deliver the exceptional services and solutions that have helped make this one of the most special, livable communities in the world, and we want you to join us. Help us shape the future of the Metro Vancouver region, and shape the place people want to be.
Our Finance Department is seeking Garage Mechanics who will have the opportunity to work in a fully equipped, modern garage which is centrally located in Burnaby with easy access from Highway #1. You will be working with a unique fleet; servicing, maintaining and repairing a variety of vehicles and equipment. We offer competitive salaries with an additional 6.25% deferred compensation plan, excellent benefit packages, a municipal pension plan, employee safety training, employee wellness programs, and varied opportunities for professional growth and development.
You are a grade 12 graduate (or equivalent) with an appropriate Trades Qualification certificate (Heavy Duty Mechanic, Automotive or Commercial Transport), an authorized Commercial Vehicle Inspection Certificate and a valid BC driver’s license (class 3 with air endorsement). You have a minimum of four (4) years of experience and responsibility in the Heavy Duty, Automotive or Commercial Transport maintenance field involved in the repair, maintenance and overhaul of equipment.
In this role, you will:
- Maintain, repair and overhaul equipment such as all types of road vehicles, including fire trucks, wildland fire suppression vehicles, fire initial attack vehicles, emergency transport vehicles, diesel/gas engines, trailers, commercial trucks, road maintenance equipment, construction equipment, pumps, generator sets, small engine equipment, off road vehicles, marine equipment, transmissions, turbo chargers, positive displacement blowers, air brakes, vehicle mounted cranes, etc.
- Service and maintain all internal combustion engines and keep engine maintenance records.
- With direction from the Garage Foreman, investigate, troubleshoot and take remedial action on problems reported by Operators.
- Be able to use up to date Automotive and Heavy Duty diagnostic equipment.
- Assess vehicle collision damage and recommend corrective action.
- Maintain records of completed jobs and share expertise with Operators on serviced equipment.
- Install and align machinery and equipment to specified tolerances.
- Train and direct junior Mechanics in maintenance procedures.
- Maintain technical currency related to the trade.
- Inventory materials and parts as required for various types of repairs.
- Be called upon to act for Garage foreman, as required.
- Work in compliance with all MVRD safety policies, procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 (or equivalent), plus appropriate Trades Qualification certificate (Heavy Duty Mechanic, Automotive or Commercial Transport).
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience and responsibility in the Heavy Duty, Automotive or Commercial Transport maintenance field involved in the repair, maintenance and overhaul of equipment.
- An authorized Commercial Vehicle Inspection Certificate.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of automotive vehicle repairs and diagnostics.
- Working knowledge of marine equipment installation and repair procedures an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and repair of large pumps, diesels, dual fuel engines and their installation.
- Proficient use of hand tools, power tools, shop tools, bench grinders, lathes, torque wrenches and gas cutting torches and have the ability to interpret technical reference manuals.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision and able to decide on best work methods to be used.
- Ability to comprehend complex operations and theories, requiring analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use applications such as Word and Excel, including an ability to understand and apply Computerized Managed Maintenance Systems and predictive maintenance technologies.
- Considerable knowledge of the MVRD’s safety policies, procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Ability to participate in and develop Safe Work Procedures.
- A reliable set of hand tools.
- Physical capability of performing the duties of the position.
- Ability to work shift work as required.
- A valid BC driver’s license.Must possess a Class 3 (with air) endorsement.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 25, 2018.